What's games can you play on the surface book performance base and what settings?

Riddick1977

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Just upgraded to the surface book performance base yesterday and just wanting to know what games you guy play on it and graphics settings please :)

Curious_Al

Jun 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding gaming on the surface book while connected to an external monitor.

If the lid is closed, will the application that was meant to use the nvidia graphics still uses it or does it use the intel one?

I'm asking because I've noticed when playing it with the lid closed. I get good amount of frame rates for a few minutes and then it drops.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that is the same one. That's an i5 with the 940m. Performance Base model should be i7 with the 965M which are, apparently, night and day different performance.

Oh whoops! I thought there were only two GPUs (integrated and the Nvidia) available for the Surface Book.

shaneyao

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
watchdog2, gta5, fallout4, with nvidia geforce experience made the setting. Works fine, though the book is very hot and fans maybe a little noisy after 20minutes.
The base just blow hot wind to the bottom of the screen which made me afraid if it will harm if play for too long

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Oh whoops! I thought there were only two GPUs (integrated and the Nvidia) available for the Surface Book.

I have been surprised at what my Surface Book (i7, 16, 512, dGPU first generation) is able to handle....

At FHD I can run Outlast 2, Alien Isolation, Dying Light, BioShock Infinite, The Witness... and some other games extremely well... (medium Quality)

I know those games are not recent (except Outlast 2) but it really performs well, and I would imagine the one with NVidia 965M to blow it away... so you will have no issues

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding gaming on the surface book while connected to an external monitor.

If the lid is closed, will the application that was meant to use the nvidia graphics still uses it or does it use the intel one?

I'm asking because I've noticed when playing it with the lid closed. I get good amount of frame rates for a few minutes and then it drops.
It will still use the NVidia card if you want it to. You can make it use either card anytime you want.

Sent from mTalk

Curious_Al

Jun 18, 2017
Visit site
ok but is there any reason why the frame rates would just drop very low all of a sudden.

For example when playing Counterstrike Global Offensive with the surface book lid closed and connected to external monitor. In the beginning I will get for example over 100 fps then after a few minutes it will drop to like 30-40 fps. It's as if it somehow switched to the intel graphics.

It's either that or it's due to excessive heat I'm not too sure.

Playing with the lid open however gives no issues.

Andrea Mangano

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
ok but is there any reason why the frame rates would just drop very low all of a sudden.

For example when playing Counterstrike Global Offensive with the surface book lid closed and connected to external monitor. In the beginning I will get for example over 100 fps then after a few minutes it will drop to like 30-40 fps. It's as if it somehow switched to the intel graphics.

It's either that or it's due to excessive heat I'm not too sure.

Playing with the lid open however gives no issues.

I know it's an old and dead thread but I'd like to give my contribution.
The problem is the closed lid.
Being the exhaust for the graphics card on the base, keeping it closed it would prevent heat to be exhausted and also create an hot environment for the rest of the machine (it affects the tablet portion too).
It's not very healthy in the long run for the batteries as well, due to excessive heat transmitted by the chassis.
What you experienced in terms of frame dropping is the thermal throttling kicking in to preserve the electronics.
I've done extended tests monitoring temperatures, clocks and a specific parameter which indicates specifically the thermal throttling.
If there isn't enough dissipation it kicks in and lower the frequencies.
That's why you lost a lot of frames!
The demonstration of this is that you played with the lid open and you had no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99