What's new with the Start menu on Windows 11 September 26, 2023 Update

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume it does not, because I haven't seen anyone mention this, but has MS fixed the missing Jump Lists from items pinned to Start? In an ironic twist, they are available to apps under All Apps on Start, but not to the ones you pin for fastest access. So you can do fast access to documents ONLY for apps that you have already decided don't need fast access. That seems obviously backwards.

If anyone can explain the logic behind this (maybe there's a valid reason that I had never considered), I'd also be interested in that. I suspect it's not by design at all, but just that they ran out of time before the launch of Windows 11, had other higher priorities, and for some reason it was easier to include Jump Lists for All Apps than for Pinned apps.

If this feature is in the update, I'll install it immediately, as this is my one lingering pain point with the Windows 11 UI, otherwise I'll wait a while to ensure there are no issues with the update.

Last edited:

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
I assume it does not, because I haven't seen anyone mention this, but has MS fixed the missing Jump Lists from items pinned to Start? In an ironic twist, they are available to apps under All Apps on Start, but not to the ones you pin for fastest access. So you can do fast access to documents ONLY for apps that you have already decided don't need fast access. That seems obviously backwards.

If anyone can explain the logic behind this (maybe there's a valid reason that I had never considered), I'd also be interested in that. I suspect it's not by design at all, but just that they ran out of time before the launch of Windows 11, had other higher priorities, and for some reason it was easier to include Jump Lists for All Apps than for Pinned apps.

If this feature is in the update, I'll install it immediately, as this is my one lingering pain point with the Windows 11 UI, otherwise I'll wait a while to ensure there are no issues with the update.
Jump lists work for items pinned to the taskbar, not the Start menu.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Jump lists work for items pinned to the taskbar, not the Start menu.
I assume they do still work for items in the All Apps list on the Start Menu, just not the pinned apps on the Start menu... (right? otherwise, they've removed a feature from Windows 11 Start)

<sigh>

Thanks for the news. Very sad. This is my single biggest problem with the new Windows 11 UI. Probably adds a minute or two per day to my work, so not the end of the world, but constantly frustrating.

Reactions: Iamdumbguy

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
I assume they do still work for items in the All Apps list on the Start Menu, just not the pinned apps on the Start menu... (right? otherwise, they've removed a feature from Windows 11 Start)

<sigh>

Thanks for the news. Very sad. This is my single biggest problem with the new Windows 11 UI. Probably adds a minute or two per day to my work, so not the end of the world, but constantly frustrating.
Jump Lists from All Apps are still there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria