When were you last excited about a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
No, but you could make a case that with the death of webOS there was a marked dropoff in innovation. Wireless charging, touch to share, gesture based UI, social media integration - all webOS firsts.

I never actually used any WebOS devices. It's funny though, Apple just had a massive drop in their company valuation because people weren't buying as many iPhones as they predicted. Maybe people have had enough of the same old upgrades each year?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I never actually used any WebOS devices. It's funny though, Apple just had a massive drop in their company valuation because people weren't buying as many iPhones as they predicted. Maybe people have had enough of the same old upgrades each year?

In my opinion Apple's price increases versus the advancements has now become skewed. Essentially paying more for less. It's not just Apple either as I think many manufactures are feeling the wrath for the exact same reasons. The average user is finding out the bump in specs these days isn't going to make much of a difference in their day-to-day use as it once did like say, 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion Apple's price increases versus the advancements has now become skewed. Essentially paying more for less. It's not just Apple either as I think many manufactures are feeling the wrath for the exact same reasons. The average user is finding out the bump in specs these days isn't going to make much of a difference in their day-to-day use as it once did like say, 2-3 years ago.

There has to be a time when smartphones, like the iPhone, just don't make as much money as they used to (this seems to be happening now). Apple in that case will have to do something similar to what MS has done and put their services on competing platforms (like how iTunes is now on Samsung TVs) in order to continue to make money where the iPhone is losing out.

Samsung on the other hand don't need to. If their smartphone division starts to lose money then the have other industries (like home appliances) that still make money. Of course, I am no financial analyst and my prediction is probably completely wrong, but Apple need to diversify somehow.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The 640. I regularly scoured the internet for news on it's release. I really believed that it could have been the start of Microsoft turning things around. In reality I waited for the phone for far longer than the amount of time it was available. And I didn't speak to one T-Mobile employee that had even heard of the phone.

I don't get excited about phones anymore.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 640. I regularly scoured the internet for news on it's release. I really believed that it could have been the start of Microsoft turning things around. In reality I waited for the phone for far longer than the amount of time it was available. And I didn't speak to one T-Mobile employee that had even heard of the phone.

I feel you on the waiting point for that phone. What a phone it was.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

I get very excited... when we see the price tags for some of these current phones LOL.

Never owned the 640 yet was very tempted on several occasions to get one. Owned the Samsung Ativ S which for some reason was our best Windows phone/Phone experience, regretted ever selling it.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I get very excited... when we see the prices tags for some of these current phones LOL.

Never owned the 640 yet was very tempted on several occasions to get one. Owned the Samsung Ativ S which for some reason was our best Windows phone/Phone experience, regretted ever selling it.
May not have had the 1520’s camera but my all time favorite all-around phone was the Ativ SE. After going through what I had to on my Acer Primo to get the latest and greatest W10, no way I was going to do the same on the Samsung.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
May not have had the 1520’s camera but my all time favorite all-around phone was the Ativ SE. After going through what I had to on my Acer Primo to get the latest and greatest W10, no way I was going to do the same on the Samsung.

Was wanting an SE as it would have definitely been an upgrade to our Ativ S yet if memory serves me correctly it never became available here in Canada... was still rocking the L1020 at the time anyway being infatuated with its 41MP sensor LOL. Yeah looked into upgrading our Ativ S too but it appeared to be a hit-n-miss affair with potentially lots of headaches, essentially more effort than we were willing to put into it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Was wanting an SE as it would have definitely been an upgrade to our Ativ S yet if memory serves me correctly it never became available here in Canada... was still rocking the L1020 at the time anyway being infatuated with its 41MP sensor LOL. Yeah looked into upgrading our Ativ S too but it appeared to be a hit-n-miss affair with potentially lots of headaches, essentially more effort than we were willing to put into it.

Yeah, the SE was a Verizon exclusive but was unlocked for GSM.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
When I used a Windows Phone. Seriously. I was super excited when I first got my 950XL and then an Elite X3. Being on Android, it just isn't the same, which is why I just have an average Android phone. I don't enjoy using it the way I did with Windows Phone.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
When I used a Windows Phone. Seriously. I was super excited when I first got my 950XL and then an Elite X3. Being on Android, it just isn't the same, which is why I just have an average Android phone. I don't enjoy using it the way I did with Windows Phone.

We enjoyed using Windows phone, back in the 8.x days. With the advent of W10M that enjoyment took a complete nosedive for me personally. Since Android is what we chose to use I thoroughly enjoy using it cuz my focus has been on the gains rather than that which were lost… WP rarely comes into questions these days and hasn't for quite some time. Essentially I make the best of what is in my hand, and enjoy.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
We enjoyed using Windows phone, back in the 8.x days. With the advent of W10M that enjoyment took a complete nosedive for me personally. Since Android is what we chose to use I thoroughly enjoy using it cuz my focus has been on the gains rather than that which were lost… WP rarely comes into questions these days and hasn't for quite some time. Essentially I make the best of what is in my hand, and enjoy.

It's sad because with each major update, it was kind of a Faustian pact, got something that the platform needed, but with it, lost something great that the platform had and hence unintended consequences.

It's a shame, because I can see that on mobile, the hodgepodge that is android is rather quite similar to what Windows is like on PC's, in that it's quite free and open, however, it's trying to make up for it with all this cross communication, and from what I can see, it's nowhere near as well as it was on WP or iOS because it's messy and inconsistent.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
It's sad because with each major update, it was kind of a Faustian pact, got something that the platform needed, but with it, lost something great that the platform had and hence unintended consequences.

It's a shame, because I can see that on mobile, the hodgepodge that is android is rather quite similar to what Windows is like on PC's, in that it's quite free and open, however, it's trying to make up for it with all this cross communication, and from what I can see, it's nowhere near as well as it was on WP or iOS because it's messy and inconsistent.

It is, or should say it was sad for me. We've long let go.

Nothing is perfect including Android yet wouldn't dare compare it to Windows for PC even today. In my experiences, over several years of using, Android has delivered a level of reliability & constancy that cannot be matched by a PC, WP (W10) never even came close. Day in and day out, months on end, it's there for me with rarely a hiccup, any that do arise usually aren't worth talking about... have more problems with our PC's (multiples) on a weekly basis. So nope Android for me has literally been great (not perfect) with little to complain about.

Have many iOS devices in my household as well and they too have a level of reliability and consistency that rivals anything Windows, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The last phone I was really excited for was the 1520... I bought a bright yellow one for my wife, as a replacement to her (also yellow) 720. What a monster performer the beast was. The 1020 had a better camera, but the 1520 is no pushover. It ran quite well on WM10 too....

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The last phone I was really excited for was the 1520... I bought a bright yellow one for my wife, as a replacement to her (also yellow) 720. What a monster performer the beast was. The 1020 had a better camera, but the 1520 is no pushover. It ran quite well on WM10 too....

The 1520 was a great phone. I had one in red and I was super excited to get mine too! Those were the days.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Elite X3 was the last time I was excited about a phone. Probably the last time I ever will be too.

Edit: But I really was excited about my 1520 and the 950XL before that too. I was not disappointed either...

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
950XL.. I got very excited about the camera and, whisper it, continuum...

Add: I'll explain...
A dying 1520, needed replacing.
Caught in inter-department politics, I was denied access to office network or computer.. No problem, I just plug, a spare monitor, mouse, keyboard to my 950XL & hub... Presto!! And Bob's ya uncle!!!

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When I was on Verizon... The Lumia Icon. I miss windows phone. Had an iSHeep 6+ for 3 years, just got an LG v40 last October. Its nice but not the same. Tried Square Home Launcher... its nice but not the same. Go back and forth between MS Launcher and Square Home. They both have their good points and quarks. I am to the point, after years of beign a tech enthusiast, I dont care about this stuff anymore. Phones tablets... PCs. None of it works as I would like it to but hey. Each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb