Where are .exe files located for the new W10 apps?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Ok

I'm trying to map the shortcut keys on my MS wireless keyboard to the new mail and music apps in W10.

However, they aren't showing up as an option in the MS Mouse and Keyboard Centre, even though they're set as the default apps.

I can browse for .exe files but can't find them ANYWHERE! The best I could do was un-hide and gain access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps but can't find them in there

I even spoke to a MS answer desk representative who said "we don't have that sort of information" - useful.

Help me Windows Central, you're my only hope.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The app files are in the hidden WindowsApps folder in the C:\Program Files folder. Seeing the hidden folder is easy, by simply changing the settings in the File Explorer Options, but actually being able to view the contents of the folder is a bit more complicated - it has been locked for security.

Welcome to Windows Central, by the way! Should you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask us.

Bysn

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi first time here.

I finally got into the WindowsApps folder but I can't seem to find the executable file for the standard Mail app that comes with Win 10.
I'd like to shortcut my mouse to it.

Could you please help me find the location?

Thanks a bunch

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi first time here.

I finally got into the WindowsApps folder but I can't seem to find the executable file for the standard Mail app that comes with Win 10.
I'd like to shortcut my mouse to it.

Could you please help me find the location?

Thanks a bunch

Its in the same folder under microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6310.42251.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

arellaca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to the folks who provided the above info. I have one question though. I'm looking for the Setting App .exe file. I understand it's inside ProgramFiles/WindowsApps. However, I'm not able to figure out which is the right subdirectory and the right .exe file.

The Setting App is the one that opens the configuration screen/menu where the different icons appear: System, Devices, Accounts, Privacy, Windows Update, etc.

Thanks

Carlos

gsotkilava

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
got a solution for you, even tho it's probably too late

1. Open File Explorer and paste the following in the address bar(search):
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

2. Press Enter. You should be greeted with a secret folder containing a bunch of random apps and actions.

3. Find the Modern app you want to create a shortcut to. Right-click on it and choose ?Create shortcut?. It?ll show up on your desktop.

Coxy100

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The app files are in the hidden WindowsApps folder in the C:\Program Files folder. Seeing the hidden folder is easy, by simply changing the settings in the File Explorer Options, but actually being able to view the contents of the folder is a bit more complicated - it has been locked for security.

Welcome to Windows Central, by the way! Should you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask us.

Sorry to drag this thread up... but how do you use the security options to be able to view that folder? I'm trying to map my keyboard buttons to open up 'Groove' and also the photos app on Windows 10 - but I can't find the executable files anywhere?

KGI Tech

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
By looking here:

I was able to get the mapping needed to assign the snipping tool to one of my Surface Pen buttons, thank you.

merslinger

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
to show hidden files when in file explorer click view at the top and click the box that says show hidden files.

I was able to link the mail app and others i wanted by using what gsotkilava said above. Once you create the shortcut on the desktop (i want my desktop clean so i created a separate folder for the shortcuts inside the c: drive.) you can find that shortcut through the keyboard properties configure menu and link to whatever button or shortcut you want. finding the app exe through the hidden files in programfiles/windowsapp did not work.

Plasmus Ang

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey, I want to add the xbox app into this app streamer I have called remotr but it gets this error when I click on desktop or anything other than one of the drives, so can you tell me where the full adress of the app is? or something?
here is the error:

Attachments

• 2016-06-19_17-12-03.png
    2016-06-19_17-12-03.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 56

Jethrobuyide

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
i also find it difficult to locate the setup file for my installed asphalt from windows store. pls help i mean the setup file so that i can share it with other people and it can also be installed on their pc too

solomani

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site

2. Press Enter. You should be greeted with a secret folder containing a bunch of random apps and actions.

3. Find the Modern app you want to create a shortcut to. Right-click on it and choose “Create shortcut”. It’ll show up on your desktop.

I made an account purely to say thank you for this tip... so Thank You :)

Hans Hermans

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. This shows the App and allows me to create a shortcut. However, i need to run the photos app for one or more jpg's The shortcut does not allow me to determine a path to which i supply the jpg file name. Any help?

Avu Sankaralingam

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
To access the hidden files in the WindowsApp Folder, you need to make yourself the 'owner'
In the properties for the folder, if you look at security it should say something like "can't show owner"
You should change the owner to yourself.
Once you do that, you can give yourself permission to view the contents of the WindowsApp folder

Sim Reaper

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site

3. Find the Modern app you want to create a shortcut to. Right-click on it and choose �Create shortcut�. It�ll show up on your desktop.

:love::love::love:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb