Where's the WP8 marketing blitz that was promised?

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I recall various remarks by MS and various carriers that they are "all in" on WP8. They said there was going to be a massive marketing push to get the word out about the new OS and devices. My question is what constitutes a massive marketing push. I have watched quite a bit of prime time TV in the last several weeks and have seen exactly 0 (zero) WP8 ads. No ads at all. Oh there is the one AT&T ad that shows a Lumia device recording a high school football game but the point of the ad was about their network, not about the phone. No mention of the phone nor the WP8 OS at all. I have seen multiple Windows 8 ads and Surface RT ads but no WP8 ads.

So what gives?:confused:

Any thoughts?

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If memory serves me correctly, this stuff is always coordinated with AT&T who didn't even announce a price until today.

Once the 920 is in stores, I expect ads no less than 3-5 days later blitzing the price everywhere.

One would hope....

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If memory serves me correctly, this stuff is always coordinated with AT&T who didn't even announce a price until today.

Once the 920 is in stores, I expect ads no less than 3-5 days later blitzing the price everywhere.

One would hope....
I agree. It's a good idea to have the phones AVAILABLE for sale when the ads get out there, LOL!

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I shudder to think about the amount of money one should put into advertising right now right before presidential election. Wonder if the marketing blitz begins in earnest later on Wednesday or even on Thursday?

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I shudder to think about the amount of money one should put into advertising right now right before presidential election. Wonder if the marketing blitz begins in earnest later on Wednesday or even on Thursday?
Yeah, ads tonight will be a waste of money. They probably start this weekend during sports and stuff.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess in my mind it would have been beneficial to advertise early to generate a build up of anticipation for the new OS and its devices. Also educating consumers early surely wouldn't hurt any. MS needs WP8 everywhere in order to gain mindshare and marketshare.

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a number of ads for the new Nokia Windows Phones on the Tv here in the UK. I've also seen a lot of HTC advertising for the 8X and 8S in print.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesnt seem to be much push for Windows 8 either. Dont watch much TV but it seems there is little news of MS advertising the OS so I'm not surprised they are once again over promising and under delivering with WP8 ads.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Doesnt seem to be much push for Windows 8 either. Dont watch much TV but it seems there is little news of MS advertising the OS so I'm not surprised they are once again over promising and under delivering with WP8 ads.
I believe when you say you don't watch much TV because commercials for Windows 8 and Surface are ALL OVER national television's primetime programming and during pro football games. ALL OVER.

Where you you see ads if you don't watch TV? Internet ads? Just curious as to where MS marketing will find YOU.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I see Windows 8 commercials everywhere also.

I only watch NBA basketball and The Walking Dead. That's pretty much it. Both of those are filled with Windows 8.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess in my mind it would have been beneficial to advertise early to generate a build up of anticipation for the new OS and its devices. Also educating consumers early surely wouldn't hurt any. MS needs WP8 everywhere in order to gain mindshare and marketshare.

Look at how crazy people on this forum (myself included...) got with a lack of release information. Imagine if AT&T/Nokia/MS spent weeks advertising Windows Phone 8 with a 'coming soon' tagline. Advertising needs to lead to sales and if there isn't a product to sell it shouldn't be advertised.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There's a large video screen advertising for both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8X at Liverpool Street station in London. It's hard not to notice! I was all: "they are advertising my phone" :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss