which setting on band 2

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Want to get some feed back on which band setting to use for my stationary bike work out. I have been just using the bike W/O GPS. Is there a better tile or setting to use? With the bike setting I have to keep my arms moving to register anything looking for an alternative to the bike tile.

any help appreciated

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi Bksalt!

The Bike Tile will best track your heart rate and calories, we've designed it for both stationary bikes and outdoor use. Unfortunately we cannot track distance on a bike without GPS.

Is there another problem you are seeing within the Bike tile? If so let me know and I'll try to help, thanks!

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Devbent. It's great to see you on here reading and responding to posts. I have a UI suggestion that I've been noodling over since the last awesome update gave us the ability to choose what exercise we're actually doing. Now that we're putting lots of exercises under the "workout" tile, could we get rid of the run, bike and golf tiles and put those exercises under the same exercise tile? With the limit to the number of tiles, I find myself having to pick and choose between things like UV sensing and score updates.
As part of this same change, I'd like to be able to enable GPS for some exercises. For example, I like to track paddleboarding with the GPS but I don't want it to affect my stride length or O2 max calculation by entering it as a run or bike.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
For example, I like to track paddleboarding with the GPS but I don't want it to affect my stride length or O2 max calculation by entering it as a run or bike
What's wrong with "bike"? "Steps" are irrelevant in biking, but GPS is on.

The bigger issue is that the Band is not waterproof enough and may not survive a dunking if you fall off your board.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi driedl,

We've talked about this internally quite a bit. Behind the scenes the code for Run, Bike, and Exercise is already shared, and from a UX perspective this also makes a lot of sense.

However there are downsides to the UX as well. The biggest one is that if we don't design it very carefully, it could end up being more steps needed to start an activity.

As part of this same change, I'd like to be able to enable GPS for some exercises.

This was very much brought up in the initial design sessions. It is something I personally want to get in, but I have to convince everyone else to take on the work as well. If you haven't already, please to to UserVoice and upvote or add this feature request, it helps me make a more persuasive case in our feature planning meetings.

As always, thank you for the feedback

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
What's wrong with "bike"? "Steps" are irrelevant in biking, but GPS is on.

The bigger issue is that the Band is not waterproof enough and may not survive a dunking if you fall off your board.

I believe that bike rides are also used to calculate O2 max. Even if I'm wrong about this, I prefer my pace and splits for bike rides to be actual bike rides. Skiing, rowing, biking and paddleboarding are very different activities and I'd like to track them all separately with GPS data.

As for the water resistance, it's a good thing I never fall! Actually, I did take a couple of dunks with my Band 1 with no ill effects. I agree that a swim-capable device is my top wish for Band 3.

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
If you haven't already, please to to UserVoice and upvote or add this feature request, it helps me make a more persuasive case in our feature planning meetings.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I'll be sure to post on uservoice now that I know the design team is paying attention to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs