Who else is waiting for the official notification for Mango?

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
In the past, MS update checks your IMEI number to figure out which phone s/w and h/w you have in order to find out which update to push. I'm sure this is no different.

Plus if you do have a "general version" (like RTM Mango or 7712 Beta) you will get a "cleanup update" to get you in the right path, which will then be followed by the carrier specific update.

This was also confirmed on the latest Windows Phone Radio podcast. Even by cutting in line you will still get all the pertinent firmwares. Amusingly is was also tacitly suggested to go this route as well, cause well Mango is that good.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Wondering when MS will release the authorization notifications for the next batch of Mango-updatable phones? From the first blog post that announced the staggered update scheme, Eric Hautala wrote that he would be posting blog updates "starting this week"... I mean, are we still at 10 percent? Have we gone up at all? I don't begrudge them the phased implementation of the update to Mango, but I do think they could stand to be a bit more communicative. Of course, given the way MS has handled smartphone strategies in general, perhaps this is to be expected.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
For all the people who say the trick works, there seem to be quite a few who say it doesn't work. Besides, they still get to do something I wanted to do earlier today: Find in page. :p

It doesn't work if you don't time the disconnection at the right moment. It has to be after Zune has determined there is an update but before it checks your specific phone model/ID to see if the carrier has noted your particular account for an update. This is the only reason it won't work.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
People in this topic are spending more time rationalizing their decision not to do the early update trick than it would've taken to actually do it.

Samsteele

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a mac and as far as I can tell the Early update trick doesn't work on the connector so I'm still waiting. Impatiently.

Telus
LG Optimus 7

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
That's why the thread was created... to give us waiters a thread of our own to kvetch and kvell... oh wait, that would be more rationalization... :p

People in this topic are spending more time rationalizing their decision not to do the early update trick than it would've taken to actually do it.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
STILL waiting.

OK. I see that they've now increased the update flow to 50% - as reported by Eric Hautala on the Windows Phone Blog today - and I've checked my device itself and while connected to Zune. No dice again. So I am still on the other side of the mango mountain. Still waiting it out. Kind of curious now to see if I get update notification at all!

Good thing I have too much real work to do to be doing the update. :p

Kalle

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, after seeing this youtube video - How to Trick Zune into installing Mango Now - YouTube I am tempted. I notice that he only had like 1.5 GB of data on his phone... 6.5 free. I have only 750 MB free at this point. Wonder if that would make a big difference in terms of time of update? Hmmm. Well, I'm still cool waiting. I have new Zune HD's to play with and I am sure they will require updating. :p

Kalle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria