Who Wants to Get a NuAns Neo on Kickstarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Central asked and you answered: Would you buy the NuAns NEO phone with Windows 10 Mobile? | Windows Central

The Straw Poll came back with 75% of respondents saying they want a Neo. WC wasn't just asking us, they were talking to NuAns as well.

NuAns has heard you and they want our help now to bring this phone out of Japan and into your hands: The unique NuAns NEO with Windows 10 Mobile is headed to Kickstarter for a worldwide launch | Windows Central

The Kickstarter will take preorders starting the end of this month (June 2016). It very well may be your only chance to get this device.

Pricing is a bit up in the air just now. I did try configuring a choice of cover on neo.nuans.jp (which seems to be down ATM) and with an acrylic choice for top and bottom of the two-tone style I came out at ?42,700 which is $400... YMMV.

We'll try and keep this thread updated with developments.

So? You in? Out? Why? Tell us about it here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested because I don't do Kickstarter. I'm too wary to give away my money on something that could be a failure. I just don't trust Kickstarter, no matter what the product happens to be.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This device looks very compelling to me and seems to tick a lot of boxes on the checklist...

• Size is decent at 5" screen.
  • 720p @ 295ppi isn't overkill, but should deliver a crisp enough image for most daily uses. I'm not for superdense, high res screens at all costs as that impacts battery negatively.
  • The SD 617 SoC intrigues me. I could use Continuum, but I don't think I need it at power-user levels.
  • The design language really speaks to me. Quite frankly I dig the looks that the two-tone options give and like switching up the look of my phones regularly anyway. Talk is about how very thick it is (11.3mm / 0.4") and that doesn't bother me. Thin is nice, but not high up on my list. I'd rather look at overall design language than size on the spec sheet.
  • That thickness helps house a whopping big battery and who isn't for that? Plus I surmise things are not so jammed in and it will help keep the SoC cool under pressure.
  • Bless them for stating more clearly than most OEMs just what type of slot is in there for microSD. Yep, I want to know it is UHS-I going in.
  • Fast Charge claim looks good at 80% in one hour. Loss of Qi is a bit of a letdown though.
Things I'd like to know more about:
  • No OIS, but does the camera have DIS? I'd like to see some camera samples. The SoC can handle a higher MP count and with 2GB RAM backing it up I think the "Processing" lag should be minimum.
  • Price?
  • What Bands?
Really that's it, just open questions about camera. But I also know that we have so many alternate lenses and editors on this platform it is hard to not make a camera work out. The only fail is not exploring the alternatives, IMHO. If the price stays the same as the Japanese version (around $400) and the radio is tuned nice...

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
It's piqued my interest but no way at $400 US. Since it'll likely be limited production I doubt the price will be any lower though unfortunately. The only thing going for it is the unique design and Continuum. Perhaps the asking price would be worth it if it included at least a Snapdragon 650, which from Android benchmarks looks to be more powerful than the Snapdragon 800 in the Icon/930. The OnePlus 3 just launched at $400 US with the SD820, 6GB ram and 1080p OLED, when you have that kinda competition it's hard to justify.

The Blu WinHD LTE I have with the quad-core SD410 is noticeably slower than my Icon. And I question whether bumping that up to octa-core Cortex-A53 in the SD617 will be much of an improvement. The Neo is asking for almost double what an Icon/930 can be had for better battery life, FFC (?), microSD and Continuum, but sacrificing performance, screen resolution, rear camera (?) and wireless charging.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm out.

Waiting on those Windows 10 Roms for One plus 2 and One plus 3.

I rather shell out 400us on the one plus 3 getting top notch specs and being able to load Windows 10 on it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm out.

Waiting on those Windows 10 Roms for One plus 2 and One plus 3.

I rather shell out 400us on the one plus 3 getting top notch specs and being able to load Windows 10 on it.

I'd be more intrigued by a dual boot setup. If a W10M ROM were to get support via MultiROM that would do more for me than a straight port that overwrites the entire OS area.

I also think dedicated hardware/software does better than porting a "foreign" OS based on my trials with ports of Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS and Sailfish onto Nexus 4. Particularly unsatisfying is when the port cuts you out of OTA version bumps and incremental fixes requiring a constant scan for new ROM and start over with newly Flashed version... Or when it cuts you out of critical services (Like Sailfish Ports not legally being able to offer Alien Dalvik).

Obviously everyone has different criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb