Why a Lumia 550 rather than the 640?

jasonxz

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at the specs on these 2 devices and it looks like (other than the fact that the 550's processor is 1 generation newer) that the 640 has better specs all-the-way-around. Since the 640 is now available for $80 while the 550 is $140, can someone please explain to me why the 550 is worth the extra $60?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Plain fact is, it is not worth the extra 60$, and while the 550's processor is one generation newer its still a 2XX while the 640 is a 4XX. Would still put my money on the 400 over a 210. This seems like flubup by Microsoft like only having the new flagships on AT$T. Will it ever end?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Size, and also, if you care for unlocked devices, the 550 does the job. $80 is the price locked to AT&T. You can unlock it, but your device would still be locked to when/if AT&T decides to provide updates. Do I need to mention the tale of the 830, or not? I have also heard talk about the 635 getting updates but the GoPhone variant did not.

I have the T-mobile variant of the 640, and I like it a lot but I seriously doubt that T-mobile will roll out Win 10 Mobile, considering how fast they dropped the phone. I really like the idea of Microsoft truly having the power of updates.

So that's my $0.02. I think that's a great price for a phone that is truly unlocked and I'm interested in playing with it, but I seem to be the only oddball who has a 640 and feels this way. I have adjusted to having a 5" phone (came from the 520/521 series) but I miss the slightly smaller phone factor. It packs nice specs for what it is.

Edit: It does a great job of improving and essentially cleaning up the 4xx and 5xx series.

glovenc

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I was very much interested in the 550 until I realized it is a 3G/4G phone only. As far as I can tell, no LTE. I hope I'm missing something, but this alone makes the 640 the better option I think.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it has LTE.

But remember, the $140 price tag is unlocked, unbranded. Carrier models were historically cheaper.

As for what it brings to the table, I think we'll have to get a better look first.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was very much interested in the 550 until I realized it is a 3G/4G phone only. As far as I can tell, no LTE. I hope I'm missing something, but this alone makes the 640 the better option I think.

Who says, it has LTE. I don't have the link right now but on Microsoft's page for the 550, it says that it has LTE, along with a list of bands it has

Last edited:

psyhound

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, for me the size is a huge factor, and as I can't see any new 4.3" - 4.5" devices in near future, it looks like 550 will be my choice.

Matatu

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
If you are happy with low end specs (even more low end than 550) , than you?ll get a smaller screen Device next year.

psyhound

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I think that 550 would be a bottom line with specs for my next phone... As I'm currently using Lumia 630, going from SD400 to SD210 would be enough downgrade by itself.
Luckily everything else will be a nice upgrade.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Size, and also, if you care for unlocked devices, the 550 does the job. $80 is the price locked to AT&T. You can unlock it, but your device would still be locked to when/if AT&T decides to provide updates. Do I need to mention the tale of the 830, or not? I have also heard talk about the 635 getting updates but the GoPhone variant did not.

I have the T-mobile variant of the 640, and I like it a lot but I seriously doubt that T-mobile will roll out Win 10 Mobile, considering how fast they dropped the phone. I really like the idea of Microsoft truly having the power of updates.

Another day, another terrifying example of how much power American Carriers have over their consumers. Can't your country ever do anything about this? Thank god the rest of the world aren't slaves to carriers which are just a utility provider NOT a hardware manufacturer. Ironic this all tales place in the land of "Freedom". You have my sympathies bro.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Another day, another terrifying example of how much power American Carriers have over their consumers. Can't your country ever do anything about this? Thank god the rest of the world aren't slaves to carriers which are just a utility provider NOT a hardware manufacturer. Ironic this all tales place in the land of "Freedom". You have my sympathies bro.
The uk is the same, buy unlocked, this is why the 550 will appeal to those looking for a half decent windows phone. I currently have the blu win Jr lte, great phone but will likely go back to Lumia next year, why - upgrades will likely be more frequent on an unlocked Lumia.

psyhound

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, after all I've decided to go with Lumia 640 and got an used one pretty cheep. It has a better specs but 5" after couple days still is a bit of a struggle to use... Hopefully I'll get used to it.

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Is the extra cost for the extra 1MB for the front facing camera? I can't fathom going to a 550 that costs twice as much as a 640 (retail).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is the extra cost for the extra 1MB for the front facing camera? I can't fathom going to a 550 that costs twice as much as a 640 (retail).

An unlocked 640 is close to 200, if not slightly over it. The 550 is sold unlocked only, so of course it would seem like it costs more.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to purchase the 550 for my daughter for her birthday, I wanted her to have my 640 but she says its too big. Ive seen it unlocked and not on contract for ?80.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077