Why can't I Jump Ship?!

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I use W10m as my daily driver now, BUT I do keep an android on standby for emergency, having said that, since I have had the L950 I have not even switched the Android phone on. I have been concerned about a lot of faults that have cropped up on peoples devices, like random re-boots, Camera images all yellow and WB all wrong, notification issues and excessive battery drain, thankfully I have not encountered this and my android remains in the drawer (fully charged lol). I wont be leaving this platform although I miss 2 apps from android, I am learning to live without them. creators update next, I look forward to what that will bring me and my phone.
With android I have found all the different versions to be almost identical in layout and features, I have never experienced the wow factor with android. I personally think windows 10 mobile is for a person who has a keen interest in the operating system, who probably knows Microsoft from old and knows what to expect, any newcomer to windows might be shocked at some of the glitches and bugs but to a seasoned windows user this is nothing more than water off a ducks back.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
even though i moved to android i still miss windows phone daily its like you moved from your home and you can't wait to return back to your home but you must wait until they fix every corner in the house

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Didn't break any new ground but it was fairly accurate. I didn't agree with the statement he made about the camera. Lumia PureViews are very much a force to be reckoned with no matter what year it is. In the end it still comes down to the app situation.

Oh, did anyone notice how bad the subtitles were? Being bilingual I understand that words and phrases sometimes don't translate well but this guy was speaking English ffs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Didn't break any new ground but it was fairly accurate. I didn't agree with the statement he made about the camera. Lumia PureViews are very much a force to be reckoned with no matter what year it is. In the end it still comes down to the app situation.

Oh, did anyone notice how bad the subtitles were? Being bilingual I understand that words and phrases sometimes don't translate well but this guy was speaking English ffs.
I didn't get his camera statement either and I agree. Ohh I didn't even notice the subtitles actually.

I think he should have let those 17 updates ready to install from the store get installed before he made the video lol.

Haha I agree.

So I got the 650 recently, and everything about it is just nice for me but not the battery life. It's not awful, but it's not what I would like. I'm starting to wonder if there's a future phone out there for this platform that will meet my battery desires and isn't big. I have seen that it does exist on the other platforms (no idea about BB), but having to use Edge a lot because of a bad app has me wondering if I am chasing a pipe dream...

Feels like it's hard to win, since it lasts exactly one day before feeling the need to put it on the charger. I feel like I have to bring a charger everywhere, and I don't know if it's worth it to have that life. I have other phones that last more before I feel the need to put it on the charger so I don't have battery anxiety/paranoia.

The easy answer to some reading my woes is to get a 950. I had a 950 semi-recently and it was a similar deal when it comes to battery life. The sensible thing would be to just let go of Windows 10 Mobile since I have other phones that don't have me married to a charger but I kind of don't want to. Maybe using it part-time is the answer for me, since I'll probably care less about battery life.

Last edited:

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I didn't get his camera statement either and I agree. Ohh I didn't even notice the subtitles actually.

Haha I agree.

So I got the 650 recently, and everything about it is just nice for me but not the battery life. It's not awful, but it's not what I would like. I'm starting to wonder if there's a future phone out there for this platform that will meet my battery desires and isn't big. I have seen that it does exist on the other platforms (no idea about BB), but having to use Edge a lot because of a bad app has me wondering if I am chasing a pipe dream...

Feels like it's hard to win, since it lasts exactly one day before feeling the need to put it on the charger. I feel like I have to bring a charger everywhere, and I don't know if it's worth it to have that life. I have other phones that last more before I feel the need to put it on the charger so I don't have battery anxiety/paranoia.

The easy answer to some reading my woes is to get a 950. I had a 950 semi-recently and it was a similar deal when it comes to battery life. The sensible thing would be to just let go of Windows 10 Mobile since I have other phones that don't have me married to a charger but I kind of don't want to. Maybe using it part-time is the answer for me, since I'll probably care less about battery life.

Why don't you consider a portable power bank, these are very cheap, light and have massive capacity these days. You could also go with the 640XL, has a big battery and low power draw. So it can last long on one charge.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you consider a portable power bank, these are very cheap, light and have massive capacity these days. You could also go with the 640XL, has a big battery and low power draw. So it can last long on one charge.

Thanks for the suggestions but since I like to have as little as possible to carry around, power banks aren't for me. My other phones don't require one. You're right about the 640XL battery, but the size of the phone is a bit much for me. I actually have a regular 640, but it hasn't impressed me on Windows 10 Mobile.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So I got the 650 recently, and everything about it is just nice for me but not the battery life.

You've got me scared now (LOL), my 650 is arriving today so hopefully it'll be up to the task... No worries though since I carry 2 or more phones with me, a power bank, and a wall plug isn't too far off smile:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You've got me scared now (LOL), my 650 is arriving today so hopefully it'll be up to the task... No worries though since I carry 2 or more phones with me, a power bank, and a wall plug isn't too far off smile:
Yay for it coming today! It should be. In my case, I use Edge to read so my battery will go down faster thanks to that.

I hope you will like yours! I like it a lot though aside from that. It should get through the day otherwise.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yay for it coming today! It should be. In my case, I use Edge to read so my battery will go down faster thanks to that.

I hope you will like yours! I like it a lot though aside from that. It should get through the day otherwise.
Educate me. What do you mean by using Edge to read?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Educate me. What do you mean by using Edge to read?

Sure. The app I use to read library books, OverDrive, allows you to read books in your mobile browser as well. The app sucks on this platform so I just use Edge to read my books when I decide to use a Windows Phone for a day.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
As to "why can't I jump ship", actually did but as mentioned before we have a soft spot for the Windows Mobile platform and since I can toy with it, we do. Not sure how long this will continue for me since there's just way too many thing wrong IMO, can be happy as all get out one moment and ready to toss my WP(s) in the garbage the next.

The most noticeable difference between my Android and Windows phones has been the amount of time spent trying to resolve issues that crop up within the OS or apps. Both my Android's have required zilch in the way of user intervention to resolves issues in 13/8 months time and that's no word of a lie, other than their initial setup or whenever I decided to tweak/customize that has been it, maybe I'm just lucky dunno. WP on the other hand feels like "fixing it" or attempting to has become a weekly ritual if not more often, and then there's those "resets" that everybody loves and appears to have become synonymous with the platform:wink:.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As to "why can't I jump ship", actually did but as mentioned before we have a soft spot for the Windows Mobile platform and since I can toy with it, we do. Not sure how long this will continue for me since there's just way too many thing wrong IMO, can be happy as all get out one moment and ready to toss my WP(s) in the garage the next.

The most noticeable difference between my Android and Windows phones has been the amount of time spent trying to resolve issues that crop up within the OS or apps. Both my Android's have required zilch in the way of user intervention to resolves issues in 13/8 months time and that's no word of a lie, other than their initial setup or whenever I decided to tweak/customize that has been it, maybe I'm just lucky dunno. WP on the other hand feels like "fixing it" or attempting to has become a weekly ritual if not more often, and then there's those "resets" that everybody loves and appears to have become synonymous with the platform:wink:.

Nah, you're not alone. I have had my Honor 8 for three months and I have never had to hard reset, even after installing 3 updates.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've switched over the iPhone for over a month now and I find it really limiting. No matter how much I convince myself that this is the phone for me, I still find myself carrying a 925 with me. It's like I'd rather have the 925 as my primary and just carry an iPhone for the other apps I may need. I'm glad I sold my Lumia 950 XL, because now I have a reason to get a Surface phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb