Why did I order a 2014 Motorola Moto X?

jkercado

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
TL;DR This is an experiment on how much has Android progressed and if it can replace Windows Phone.

If you went beyond that first line, cool. I'll tell you why I have ordered an Android phone. You see, I've been using Windows Phone for around four years after moving off Android (which was horrible at the time), and Blackberry (which was...boring as hell). I started out with a tiny (cool) Samsung Focus. Always faithful, always waiting for Microsoft to deliver. Things started to get better. I bought a Nokia Lumia 900. Two, actually. Then I got shafted by the WP8 change. I remained faithful, because I saw the potential in the OS. Convinced my family (wife and two kids) to use WP.

Eventually got myself and my wife a set of 920's. Eventually both got smashed, and I was in for a replacement with AT&T Next. What did I pick? A glorious 1520, while my wife got herself a 1020. Gotta add here that since I have 5 lines, I kinda play around with renewals and stuff, in case you were wondering how I do this.

The thing is, I had been keeping my faith in Windows Phone. I got into the Dev Preview. I see signals of good things, and yet... We're still lacking. We're still being treated like 2nd class citizens.

And the worse thing, we're being treated like that by Microsoft itself.

The Office releases, one of the distinguishing features of WP, are the straw that broke the camel's back. Not only are other platforms getting Office, they're getting a vastly superior experience. How do I know?

About a month ago, I bought a Nexus 7 2013 32GB in pristine condition from a coworker, for a ridiculously cheap price. I got it because I wanted a small tablet with a good screen for writing on the go with a keyboard (something I can't do with my 1520), plus I was honestly curious about Android.

My experience with Android has been nothing short of fantastic. Quick, no lag, and the quality and integration of applications is so damn good. A simple example: Click on a link in the Facebook app, and it opens a browser frame inside the app. When you're done, tap the top of the screen and it takes you exactly where your feed was at. Smooth, slick, efficient.

So it's not only the amount of apps available, it's the quality of said apps. Feedly, Flipboard, I could go on and on. But what about the ecosystem?

Well, I still prefer Microsoft services. And guess what? I get OneDrive, Outlook, OneNote, and now, Word and Excel (PowerPoint is available but I don't use it). The experience with these apps is above and beyond what we get in WP, even in Preview mode. No Office? Well, I can use WPS Office, which integrates directly with OneDrive too.

See what I mean?

The reasons for "suffering" with WP and being in the waiting game are not valid anymore. Cortana is the only thing that's not matched yet, although Google Now is pretty darn robust even if it has zero personality. Well, also Live Tiles, but you can find widgets that actually look good that have even more functionality.

So I ordered a nice Motorola Moto X, white with bamboo back that should be home on Monday. I'm planning on comparing it with the 1520. This will be an interesting experiment for me. If I find out that I get the same effectiveness and enjoyment from the Moto X, or better, I might bide Windows Phone goodbye.

I'm still keeping the 1520, though. I'm curious about Windows 10. But I have the feeling that we'll go back into the waiting game ("wait for the next update, then it'll be awesome").

​We'll see.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If I ever head to Android then it will for a Nexus or Moto, so Im looking forward to your comparison of the Moto and the 1520

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Your experience sound pretty close to mine. I'm just waiting for payday so I can jump ship, Please let us know what you think of your new phone.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You sound a lot like me. Used WP since WP7. Recently tried Droid Maxx and now an LG G2. Keep in mind these are last year's flagship phones. And I'm pretty impressed with Android and the speed and apps. I really love the battery life on these two phones and especially like the speed of the camera. The quality of the camera on the G2 is every bit as good as the Icon I used.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
hahah it happened otherwise to me! i switched from a Moto X (2013) to a Lumia 830 and couldn't be happier!

The Moto X was with me for almost one year and i found myself bored with Android and the infamous laggy performance within time.

i thought it wouldn't happen to the Moto X but it did. and those minor lags were getting to my nerves.

so I decided to get back to WP for another year (had a Lumia 620 prior to the Moto X) and see what happens!

and again, I'm really happy with the 830 and WP performance, it's really great given the hardware! I also found all the apps I need, even my bank and carrier app (I bought the phone unlocked)!

but its interesting seeing the reasons behind users coming and going xD

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey :)

I come from Android, I also own a Nexus 7 (2013) and I still think that this is the best device I ever spent money on. Android works as it should. Everything is connected to one account with one click. Now getting Android Lolipop 5.0 !! So keep an eye on that !! Update is rolling out since 12 Nov. It's pretty awesome to get all updates. And I now have a Windows Phone as a phone. I see a lot of potential in it. And I love the whole idea of Windows. However when we come to Apps and MS Apps being better on Android.. And as I can use all MS services on my Android all along with Google is perfect. I really hope that Windows 10 brings real experience like we get on Android.. I mean the real experience as there is more Apps, features, graphics, Devs doing all kind of fun stuff on their apps.. And MOSTLY WHAT WE NEED ON WINDOWS PHONE IS MORE OEMS THAT HAVE ACCESS TO THE WHOLE OS, THEREFORE BUILDING THEIR OWN UNIQUE UI AND FEATURES reflecting Windows Phone of course..Otherwise for now ..Make an Android phone with Windows Phone UI and Lumia apps? Dream phone lol! Do it like Google, you can use Google Camera and Google Apps on all devices, not just Nexus. Lumia apps should be OS apps now that it's all Microsoft. They want to be a software giant.. Well there you go!

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Android has been nothing short of fantastic. Quick, no lag, and the quality and integration of applications is so damn good. A simple example: Click on a link in the Facebook app, and it opens a browser frame inside the app. When you're done, tap the top of the screen and it takes you exactly where your feed was at. Smooth, slick, efficient.

The iOS Facebook app works exactly the same way. I just switched back to WP from iPhone 6 as I just like the OS far better. But the app situation definitely has to be improved.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I bounce between my HTC 8XT and an HTC One (M7). Android is a perfectly fine OS, my reservations come from all the forced private life info that you have to give Google to use their phones. (G+ required, Youtube account linking to everything, connecting to your real name, etc, etc.)

I would 100% agree that while the app presence is closing, app functional parity has a ways to go yet. Hopefully, Win 10 changes the tide for us...but I'll have lollipop to use on my One if it doesn't.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Loving my 2014 Moto X and Lollipop is mostly positive. Wish some things were slightly different about the Moto X but on the whole a very positive experience.

jkercado

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE

I've had the phone for what, almost three weeks?

Fantastic piece of hardware. Feels premium--I love the contrast of metal and wood. And the glass lamination is super smooth.

Android? I'm still running 4.4.4, since I'm waiting for the official OTA update. My experience so far has been nothing short of fantastic. Quick, smooth. Reliable. High-quality apps. In a little twist of irony, I'm using the wonderful Z Launcher from Nokia. In a way it's the opposite of Live Tiles, and I'm okay with that.

I'm really liking my Android experience. I don't feel like I'm missing out on stuff anymore...

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I enjoyed my 7 months earlier this year with the Ativ S. For me though I am a Cyanogenmod fan which is why I went back to Android. But I have just got my daughter a 530 and I am planning to to get another WP device as a second phone next year. I have to say though that the Moto X is the best phone on the market right now. WP is missing a high end device like that.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto X (black/black leather) and it's a seriously amazing phone. The build quality is fantastic, it's ridiculously fast and smooth, and has some truly great features. I had a brief stint with WP8.1 and while it has potential, it just can't compete with Android, and the Moto X is the perfect device to showcase it. I also have a Nexus 5 and an iPhone 6, and the X is easily my favorite. It's probably my all time favorite phone, and I've had around 20 smartphones, all flagships from all the major brands. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The cameras aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. You can get some really nice shots out of them. All the other things that make Motorola phones great more than make up for the middle of the road cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss