Why did Satya Nadella ignore his own country India when deciding about Windows phone :(

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Being an Indian and a Windows phone fan, I am disappointed with Satya Nadella :(

Windows phone was popular in European countries and in countries like India & Brazil. Even in 2018, we still see some people with 3-4 year old Windows phones which are still running fine

Also there are many app developers in India and many people in India will love to develop apps for Windows phone if they are paid. And the payment asked by people in India is less than what people in Europe or USA will ask for, so Microsoft should have given most of the app development work to Microsoft India and got the apps developed here

And Satya Nadella after becoming Microsoft CEO should have pushed for Windows phone in India. Many people in India would have switched to windows if Microsoft had marketed properly

When Nokia was making Windows phones, there was so much of advertising here but Microsoft failed to advertise the Windows phones even with many people in India buying them

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't that he ignored India, Windows Phone was largely neglected globally and he didn't wish to put more resources into it, so it wasn't a country decision but a global strategy one - albeit MS does tend to be US-centric.

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
It wasn't that he ignored India, Windows Phone was largely neglected globally and he didn't wish to put more resources into it, so it wasn't a country decision but a global strategy one - albeit MS does tend to be US-centric.

Windows Phone was loved in Europe & India. Just that Windows phone flopped in USA, sadly Microsoft gave up on it with Satya Nadella ignoring his own country India as well :(

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Guys Windows Phone was coming in third in a three horse race. It wasn't winning. I suspect that we will see MS return to the mobile arena very soon.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Guys Windows Phone was coming in third in a three horse race. It wasn't winning. I suspect that we will see MS return to the mobile arena very soon.

A word that has been resonating in regards to MSFT for a very loooooong time especially where Windows Phone is concerned.

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site

Nothing wrong in being 3rd. But Windows should have targetted being a strong 3rd option, especially when Android & IOS have their own issues. Android eats up a lot of battery and with the same MAH battery, a Windows phone battery lasts much longer and also with the same hardware, a Windows phone works more faster than a Android phone with same harware

Microsoft should consider Windows phone a success even if it got 15% share in smartphones in some countries, something very much possible in Europe & India if Microsoft tries again

Also hoping Windows phone isn't abandoned. I love my Microsoft Lumia 535 even though it's my secondary phone

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
They tried that, couldn't get developers, no developers, no apps. No apps, no users.

It was high time to try something different.

They didn't try it in India. If Satya Nadella had tried, Microsoft would have got 1000s of developers in India alone. He just looked in USA, didn't find any developer and gave up :(

Also all Indian apps are there in Windows phone too - Paytm, Freecharge, Mobikwik (Digital wallets), Flipkart, Jabong (Shopping), Gaana, Saavn (Online music), Oyo rooms (Hotel booking), Hike messenger (Messaging). Major Indian bank apps like SBI, ICICI, HDFC also there in Windows phone too. They all still exist, although some of them might not have been updated for months, but Microsoft themselves are to blame for that

Atleast in India, there was hardly any app gap here and millions of people bought Windows phones from 2012-2017 here in India

Satya Nadella after going to USA suffered the typical US mentality of ignoring rest of the world :( If only he realised that there are big countries apart from USA too. He should have taken a Europe & India centric approach to Windows phones and targetted to have a 20%+ market share in those places

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Far too US-Centric as of late and it's showing i.e CES 2018 with OEM's doing their own thing and pushing an competitor AI services when Cortana is there within the O/S.

It was an inevitable result due to Microsoft being very US-Centric.

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Far too US-Centric as of late and it's showing i.e CES 2018 with OEM's doing their own thing and pushing an competitor AI services when Cortana is there within the O/S.

It was an inevitable result due to Microsoft being very US-Centric.

Satya Nadella needs to know Windows mobile was popular in Europe & India. Any Windows mobile Microsoft launches in future, should be aimed at European & Indian markets and marketed properly here and make deals with mobile operators in Europe & India and sell through them as well

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Satya Nadella needs to know Windows mobile was popular in Europe & India. Any Windows mobile Microsoft launches in future, should be aimed at European & Indian markets and marketed properly here and make deals with mobile operators in Europe & India and sell through them as well

The thing is there are going to be no more devices running Windows Mobile 10 by Microsoft unless it's an OEM through kickstarter or via other crowd funding sites.

Andromeda will replace WM10 once launched.

I'm sure Satya Nadella knows how popular it was in Europe and India, as every CEO gets a distilled and detailed analysis of product growth through the respective departments.

For markets like India, a partnership with Mediatek would help greatly help as it would enable cheaper devices running Andromeda o/s and Windows on ARM.

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
The thing is there are going to be no more devices running Windows Mobile 10 by Microsoft unless it's an OEM through kickstarter or via other crowd funding sites.

Andromeda will replace WM10 once launched.

I'm sure Satya Nadella knows how popular it was in Europe and India, as every CEO gets a distilled and detailed analysis of product growth through the respective departments.

For markets like India, a partnership with Mediatek would help greatly help as it would enable cheaper devices running Andromeda o/s and Windows on ARM.

Hoping Satya Nadella atleast knows how popular Windows phone was in India

Indians when buying mobile, look for 2 things -
1) Cost between INR 8000 - INR 16000, about $125 - $250
2) Long lasting phone which can last 3-4 or more years

Android OEMs give us 1 and I phones give us 2 (Not now as I phones start slowing down). Windows gave us both, Windows phones were available in all price range and even after 4-5 years, people are still using their Windows mobile phones

App gap is not a issue atleast in India as all major apps & major Indian apps are there in Windows phones, so during 2013-2016 when Windows phone was available widely in India, many people bought them and they still work fine now

Atleast keeping his own country in mind, Satya Nadella should bring back Windows phone and market it properly in India. There is a massive billion dollar market for Windows phones in India. Just needs right people to tap into that

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hoping Satya Nadella atleast knows how popular Windows phone was in India

Indians when buying mobile, look for 2 things -
1) Cost between INR 8000 - INR 16000, about $125 - $250
2) Long lasting phone which can last 3-4 or more years

Android OEMs give us 1 and I phones give us 2 (Not now as I phones start slowing down). Windows gave us both, Windows phones were available in all price range and even after 4-5 years, people are still using their Windows mobile phones

App gap is not a issue atleast in India as all major apps & major Indian apps are there in Windows phones, so during 2013-2016 when Windows phone was available widely in India, many people bought them and they still work fine now

Atleast keeping his own country in mind, Satya Nadella should bring back Windows phone and market it properly in India. There is a massive billion dollar market for Windows phones in India. Just needs right people to tap into that

I get what you are saying, however this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

Windows Phone or Windows Mobile or any smartphone based on Windows Mobile will not becoming back en-mass no matter how much it is discussed.

That ship has sailed (when the entire mobile division got axed).

Right now what is needed is a mobile device that has functionality beyond the conventional smartphone and Windows on ARM / Andromeda provides that.

In addition, it can not be locked to singular market or region either.

In regards to India to hit the price points ideal for that market, Microsoft needs to strike a partnership with Mediatek. This would allow Microsoft hit a more affordable price point for mass purchase of WoA / Andromeda devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans