Why do all apps have the same notification sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
You're setting me up with a false dilemma. Not cool at all.

I don't know what exactly do you want to hear. I study UI/UX design and I honestly think that if all applications could have a custom notification sound of their own instead of sharing one common together, it would be a very bad and inefficient choice. Average users would end up not using it because it would only work against them and the number of users that would benefit from and actually use it is way too small to justify allocation of WP OS development resources for working on it. There's plenty of better targets for those resources.

Even if the average user didn't use it, some people would. Is choice a bad thing? I'm pro-choice on ringtones! :D

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok folks I'm in here now. We will not be calling people trolls, accusing them of trolling or any other things that violate our rules. This will be a civil discussion or it will be closed.

As to the topic at hand I can differentiate the sounds of when I get a call, a text and a notification from an app. So it seems that this functionality is already there in some form.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Eric beat me to it, but as he has already said, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, TROLLING, ET AL. Otherwise we will also be handing out infractions.

I've already posted here with my thoughts about this. But I do believe that options are good for the user. Also, I wouldn't call it inefficient. It increases the glance-and-go mentality. And as to it being redundant, they mentioned about priorities changing. Which if the priorities change, then it's already pre-setup so that when priorities change, you can adapt with no further settings changed. What's redundant about that?

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Also, I wouldn't call it inefficient. It increases the glance-and-go mentality. And as to it being redundant, they mentioned about priorities changing. Which if the priorities change, then it's already pre-setup so that when priorities change, you can adapt with no further settings changed. What's redundant about that?

To me if there's sound notifications that are not important enough for the user to pick up the phone it's the very definition of inefficient. Even if the priorities change, then the redundancy is just shifted around. If the application A is suddenly important and application B is not anymore, then the sound notification for application B has become redundant.

I guess my argument is more about this point. Since there's lock screen notifications and Live Tiles that will ensure that the user will get notifications even from low priority applications next time they pick up the phone, why should there be a sound notification for them at all? Instead of having a system where user has to define notification sounds manually and adapt to their priority, I'd prefer an intelligent system where the device will figure that out for me.

Play that one distinct, familiar notification sound that I easily recognize from anywhere and play that only when it's something that I want to be immediately aware of. Off the top of my head:

Example situation:

I get a phone call and do not answer it.

Phone AI analysis of the situation:

Location data kept changing for the duration of the call and the proximity sensor data did not change = I was walking with my phone in my pocket and did not hear the call. That person is also attending the same Facebook event tomorrow as you are and you have an active Messaging history with her.

Notification adjustments:

If the same person calls again, check sensor data if you're still walking and if you are, increase ringer volume by 50%.
Enable notification sounds for that person even in the social networks you've muted (Twitter sound notifications were muted, now active if a DM comes from her) for the rest of the day or until you've had some interaction with her.

This sort of notifications AI could work with anything. WhatsApp sounds from group conversations would be muted except when the AI detects that you were mentioned. No personal email box sound notifications during working hours and other way around. Endomondo running and accelerometer shows active moment, mute all notification sounds from all social networks. etc.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That's a completely different point. Custom alert tone is something that probably should be implemented. My argument is that not every possible source for notifications should have a different tone in them.
no it a valid point, my gf and I both have lumia's and its very annoying when messages, news, games alert and we both start scrambling fir phones, happens all the bloody time every bloody day.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
no it a valid point, my gf and I both have lumia's and its very annoying when messages, news, games alert and we both start scrambling fir phones, happens all the bloody time every bloody day.
I wouldn't bother replying in this thread, you'll get nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes