Why do they discharge faster than they can charge under use?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I travel a lot, I use the Here Drive app and have my phone connected to my car via Bluetooth.

On long journeys the phone will discharge even when its connected to the USB charger, I've tried turning 4G off and turning the brightness down but it doesn't help.

I bought an Aukey 2.4a car charger and PortaPow fast charging cable in an attempt to solve the problem but it still happens with 3 different Nokia Windows Phones and 2 different cars.

It will discharge so much that the phone will even turn off due to low battery!
I've asked this question elsewhere before and no one seems to understand why this happens - I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this. My Nexus 6P will actually do this sometimes when I'm simultaneously running a lot of things such as navigation, YouTube (playing in the background for audio, not watching it!), hotspot, charging, etc all at the same time. My thinking is that charging is restricted due to overheating. It will show that it is charging because it is plugged in, but it actually isn't.

My 2?.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I travel a lot, I use the Here Drive app and have my phone connected to my car via Bluetooth.

On long journeys the phone will discharge even when its connected to the USB charger, I've tried turning 4G off and turning the brightness down but it doesn't help.

I bought an Aukey 2.4a car charger and PortaPow fast charging cable in an attempt to solve the problem but it still happens with 3 different Nokia Windows Phones and 2 different cars.

It will discharge so much that the phone will even turn off due to low battery!
I've asked this question elsewhere before and no one seems to understand why this happens - I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about it.

I believe it's because of GPS being on all the time, it does consume a lot of battery power.

You can try these suggestions
A few things you can try out:

Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
If you find that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb