Why does a Gamertag change break my apps

SDMike

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I changed the gamertag associated with my live ID, long story but I had two. Anyway, I associated the one that had all my xbox stuff with my live id.

Since then, every time I get an app update notification I have get a message that the update can't be installed because it isn't in my update list. I have to uninstall the app and reinstall it. This is pretty ridiculous that a gamertag change kills my apps list. Why are regular apps not associated with only the live id?

I don't understand why they made this choice. Not that anyone here can help but I feel better airing the frustration.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey SDMIKE

:D :D WELCOME TO WPCENTRAL :D :D :D

Yeah Sadly your Gamer tag is your MAIN ID for any XBL account related transaction.

i think the reason for that is that you can have a @Live.com , @Gmail , @Yahoo.com ect.. but your Gamertag is ALWAYS linked to Microsoft Directly, if it was link to your E-mail it could cause more problems.

I had something like that happen to me in the EARLY dayz of my WP. im pretty sure its just a BUG.

only thing i can suggest to do is to do a HARD RESET on your phone and start from ZERO, this SHOULD fix all FUTURE bugs related to app updates.

or Uninstall all apps/games and re-instal them.

SDMike

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome.

I've resigned myself to just reconciling my apps list from windowsphone.com with what is on my phone and uninstalling and reinstalling what isn't there.

It is annoying to be sure since I then have to reset all the preferences/settings on things like HTC Hub, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPC. A reset is ideal, but luckily it's a workaround, nonetheless. What kind of device do you have?

SDMike

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update on this. I may have found a better way, but I won't know until I get an update notification. It seems that by using the push download from the web Marketplace, it adds the app to my account, but doesn't trigger a full re-install on the phone.

I'll provide more info as soon as I get an update notification for one of these apps.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
maybe you just simply need to make sure your ZUNE is up to date like you said for it to recognize your new info..

have you plugged it into your PC/ZUNE sints the problems started??

SDMike

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I plug in about once a week to push all my photos and videos to the PC.

I just got done pushing all the apps and two downloaded again for some reason, but the rest did nothing. Now I play the waiting game until I get an update notification. I noticed that I seem to have purchased on app before changing my gamertag. I'm not sure what I can do about that. I guess I'll give MS a call and see what they can do.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077