Why I consider the Elite x3 a downgrade from an Lumia 950XL

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Reading this on my lumia 950 xl smiling... :)

Yep me too :grin: Like i said, the combination of price along with no DTTW, no glance, no NFC payments, and lower quality camera make this phone undesireable for me. But i do have to admit i would love a solid fingerprint scanner on a W10M phone, the Windows Hello Iris Recognition, as fast as it is now, is just unpractical to use 90% of the time to hold up 6" from your face.

It's a shame that MS killed off the Lumia line because even high end alternatives can't compare such as the Elite X3 and Idol 4S. A Lumia 960 w/ all of the 950s current features plus
  1. Snapdragon 820 to replace the 810
  2. 4GB of ram bump from 3GB
  3. Fingerprint sensor on back to replace Iris recognition
  4. Dual front firing speakers
  5. 64GB internal bump from 32GB internal

Would be so clutch right now. One can only fantasize at this point :crying:

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Elite x3 a week ago and was apprehensive about the $800 investment and weather the phone was going to hit the high or low marks that people have been posting about this phone, again most posts including mine are an opinion.
Before this my primary phone is a 1520 for the last two years, and absolutely Love it. The only reason for the change is just that change, the 1520 works well and has the occasional brain fart like any other electronic device.
I do a good bit of travelling for work and have a work phone (iPhone 5s), in my line of work I keep my personal and work life separated, so the x3 is solely a personal device, and the iPhone handles all my mobile related work issues.
I bought the phone from the windows store the night before leaving out of town on a 7 night trip to 3 different cities. I decided to take only the x3 and leave the 1520 behind. If the phone was going to fail I was going to feel it, but it also made me use the x3.
I have another post in the forum about my first nights experience with updating the phone, in a nutshell don't install a sd card before the update, (read the full story in the other post). Once the phone was updated and apps reloaded, the phone has been incredible.
The fingerprint scanner is awesome, It's not a big deal to punch in a code but it's great to pick up the phone with either hand and naturally place your index finger on the scanner and it's opened in a split second. The iris scanner is a novelty for me at this point, you have to unnaturally hold it close to get it to read your eyes and I'm already holding the phone so why not use the print reader.
The screen is bright and clear, I have set it to auto for the brightness and it's always been good for the environment that I have been in. Transitioning from the 1520, I like the real estate the screen provides. I'm 6'2" 230lbs so the size is excellent for my pocket and hands.
Another thing I didn't know I was missing on the 1520 is the front facing speakers, no more cupping my hand around the speaker to hear it. In fact as I type this Im listening to Groove with the volume at an 8 and loving it.
The x3 is definitely more responsive then the 1520, but not to the point that I would switch solely because of it.
The camera on the x3 is good, is it a 1520 or a 950xl (wife's phone) simply put no. When I get back to a computer I will load up some pictures that I took with the x3. The night pictures in auto were junk, the outdoor and indoor lighting pictures are pretty good. The one big camera disappointment for me is the absolutely annoying "Click" every time you snap a photo. Is the camera enough of a deal breaker to take this back, No. Would I get this phone for my wife who is a professional photographer, No. She is that group of people that blows the pictures up for added detail and printing for comparison and quick pre-shoots before using her professional gear.
Battery life has been good, I finish the day with between 30-40%. I was winding a day on my 1520 at 10-20%.
Some other random pros and cons for me:
I do miss the dedicated camera button
Skype quality is incredible with this phone,I chalk it up to the processor, and ff camera.
Initial set up was a nightmare that was solved with the WP Central crowd (Thank you)
The phone is absolutely awesome looking.
Call quality has been excellent and the connectivity to our network (T-mobile) has been great.
The IP67 standards are a huge plus for me and my work and life style. It adds some piece of mind. My 1520 took a beating and looks almost new.

My next purchase is a rugged case and wireless charger base.

I know I'm missing something, if you have a question feel free to ask. I will set up and mess with the dock and continuum when I'm home tomorrow and report back.
Thank you for reading.

swbf2lord

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
It's obviously a fairly biased post, as some have pointed out. The only issue with the Elite X3 is the price.

Again, someone's already said this, but the Snapdragon 810 is what ruined the 950XL for me. Overheating, and battery drain are major flaws. This isn't Microsoft's fault, it's Qualcomm's; it did, however, damage the device, and render it unusable for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4