Why is Type Cover expensive?

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Anyone can answer this question?

I wonder why Surface type cover is still expensive after 3 generations.

Yes, I know Microsoft has to make profit. But there should be much room for a lower price right?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing to stop anyone from buying a cheaper Bluetooth keyboard.

The Microsoft Type Cover is an excellent product and the price is realistic in my opinion.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Like a lot of tech stuff, they'll sacrifice profit on the main SKU for a lower "headline" price, knowing that they can get it back by pumping up accessory prices.​

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Because it is the thinnest lightest keyboard with a trackpad. Also, the ability to magnetically snap to your tablet and work flawlessly are well worth the money. I'd prefer it if they lower the price to $99 though. $129 for a keyboard is a bit much given that desktop mechanical keyboard about the same price.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget that it has backlight keys. So you have a thin, protective keyboard cover with a built-in, upgraded trackpad with backlight keys. Yeah, it would be nice to buy it at a lower price but even at $129, it's not too bad. Apple charges $40 for their iPad Air 2 cover and Logitech wants $100 for their bluetooth keyboard cover for the same device.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Logitech keyboard for the ipad is 99$ (and it's a lot thicker and without a trackpad)

you people act like you don't know similar products prices

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think in that price is also the cost of R&D.
and when I had a type cover 2, it had some sensors in the palmrest that activated the backlight when I touched it. (really nice touch)

it's also got to detect if its been wrapped around, etc.

I don't like the price, but its understandable.

jschu22

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Like a lot of tech stuff, they'll sacrifice profit on the main SKU for a lower "headline" price, knowing that they can get it back by pumping up accessory prices.​

This. Talk up the features all you want, and plenty are doing just that, but there is no way that the price of this accessory isn't influenced by a reduced profit on the leading device (Surface __). Apple does the same with their Smart Covers/Cases.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Logitech keyboard for the ipad is 99$ (and it's a lot thicker and without a trackpad)

you people act like you don't know similar products prices
You can go to any number of online retailers and buy a wireless keyboard with trackpad for <$20. Just without a brand name written on it.
You people act like you don't know thickness and trackpadness.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You can go to any number of online retailers and buy a wireless keyboard with trackpad for <$20. Just without a brand name written on it.
You people act like you don't know thickness and trackpadness.

Yes, and it must be noted that you get what you pay for in many cases.

I have had those <$20 keyboards, and they tend to stop working in fairly short order, and don't stand up well to abuse. They also are not backlit, and do not provide protection for the surface screen when the surface is not in use.

This isn't just a keyboard/trackpad, it's also a cover for the surface that magnetically attaches, so it's fast and easy to hook up. You pay for convenience as well.

I've got a backlit keyboard on my laptop. Had to pay extra to get it, but it was well worth it. If I picked up a Surface 3 or Pro 3, I'd definitely get the type cover.

Picking up a <$20 keyboard will also force you to pick up a different cover for travel, plus a travel bag that can now carry the bulkier keyboard and the surface. You'll lose time and productivity having to pull out a separate, non-attached keyboard when you need it. In the long run, for a business user or for a student, the type cover is the best way to go.

If you can't really afford the type cover and want a bulkier, cheaper keyboard, then you need to reconsider your need for a tablet, and a small 2 in 1 that is less expensive would probably be a better choice for you.

Find the tool that works best for what you want to use it for. While the Surface is nice, it's not necessarily for everyone. Budget minded people are generally better served finding a nice 2 in 1 or less expensive tablet combo setup. While I had a budget to pick up a Surface Pro 3 a while back, it's not what I went for. I wanted a larger display, so I got a 15.6" 2 in 1 laptop. I get the benefit of a larger touch screen tablet and a powerful laptop with plenty of onboard storage, and a full size, backlit keyboard with 10 key pad. Definitely better for games and such, as well as better for working with larger spreadsheets.

onkel_axel

May 29, 2014
Visit site
because they made huge improvements with every typecover.

a typecover 1 is cheap now
but no1 wants to use a typecover 1 on the surface 3

surface 3 typecover is new and still expensive.
i suspect tis gen type covers will work fine on next gen surface

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
All things considered, it's a pretty fair price.

The QODE keyboard I have for my iPad Air costs the exact same as the Surface Type Cover and lacked both a backlight and a trackpad.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
This. Talk up the features all you want, and plenty are doing just that, but there is no way that the price of this accessory isn't influenced by a reduced profit on the leading device (Surface __). Apple does the same with their Smart Covers/Cases.

What about Logitech, Zagg, Belkin, ClamCase, and all the others charging $100 for their tablet keyboards? They don't have to off-set the price of a flagship product and they make their products for multiple devices, not just one. Quality accessories like these are expensive regardless of manufacturer. Yes, Microsoft might be off-setting some costs but the Type Cover would still be expensive if MS charged $50 more for the Surface 3 simply because it is a quality, multi-function product that is priced competitively with accessories from other companies.

jschu22

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
What about Logitech, Zagg, Belkin, ClamCase, and all the others charging $100 for their tablet keyboards? They don't have to off-set the price of a flagship product and they make their products for multiple devices, not just one. Quality accessories like these are expensive regardless of manufacturer. Yes, Microsoft might be off-setting some costs but the Type Cover would still be expensive if MS charged $50 more for the Surface 3 simply because it is a quality, multi-function product that is priced competitively with accessories from other companies.

$100 < $129, by a lot. Any that exceed $100 bring extra features with them (full device coverage as well, for example) Additionally, many of those use superior materials (aluminum) than what is used in the MS covers. That's not to say that the MS ones aer made with cheap materials- What they have created works great, just arguably over priced for what it is.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
$100 < $129, by a lot. Any that exceed $100 bring extra features with them (full device coverage as well, for example) Additionally, many of those use superior materials (aluminum) than what is used in the MS covers. That's not to say that the MS ones aer made with cheap materials- What they have created works great, just arguably over priced for what it is.

Agree. Type cover looks great when newly purchased. But it gets dirty over time (noticeably dirty after one year of usage). I am willing to pay even a little bit more if it was made with dirt-resistant materials (which can be cleaned efficiently), which provide a more long-lasting appearance. But it seems that the current materials are the only choice for a light-weight type cover?

Given that Surface / Surface Pro are premium devices, it is not so great that the device looks "old" over time. Type cover is different from phone cases in nature. I think it is supposed to be long lasting in terms of appearance, given the price you have paid for.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I would've liked the keys to have a stronger finish to them. I use my Type Cover 2 extensively and now it has shiny spots on the keys from where I hit them (kind of wish I was a hunt and ****** so that at least I could evenly distribute the wear on the keys). No amount of alcohol or cleaning solution will remove these areas as these areas are actually where the finish has worn off the keys due to skin oils.

Otherwise, I love my keyboards especially because of the backlighting. All you have to do is hover your hands over the keyboard to activate it. Curious where the sensor exactly is to sense your hands since it's not a tactile sensor.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm specifically looking at the $90 Logitech keyboard cover for the iPad Air 2. It's aluminum on the outside and matte plastic on the inside, only covers the screen, and doesn't add any new features. Zagg has something similar for $100 but it at least has backlight keys. Still, these keyboards use their own power supplies. Plus they let you use the iPad in only one position. Isn't the added cost of $29 worth it so that you don't have to ever worry about charging the keyboard while also gaining a decent trackpad and full functionality of the kickstand?

Like I said, it would have been nice if MS decreased the price of the Type Cover for the Surface 3 but it isn't a requirement and the price is well worth it.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
As someone who has bought multiple Logitech iPad Air 2 keyboards/keyboard covers (Keys to go, Type+ and K480), I think the key difference is Logitech has to work harder to convince you their products are better than first party options (assuming there is any direct competition). Microsoft in all honesty doesn't really have to try in this case. I'd say a lot of the arguments in this thread are probably valid- the keyboards subsidise the main tablet to get it under the psychological price barrier, they know that once you've bought the tablet you're very likely to get the optional keyboard and there's literally no real competition in terms of a premium product which matches the hardware perfectly, the keyboard itself isn't too outlandishly priced given it's feature set and specs, etc...

The only thing which jumps out at most people is the concept of paying $xxx for a keyboard- something which in many peoples' mind is a cheap thing. But then if you're someone who was able to justify spending $500US on an Atom Windows tablet in 2015 (when there are plenty of other "Atom Windows tablets") then clearly you are one who can appreciate there is value in these product offerings so a $xxx Microsoft Type cover which is a keyboard, trackpad and a cover isn't too far fetched.

(note I'm in Singapore where the keyboard cover is actually $199 - given that average wage here is like $1500 per month and there's plenty of cheap knock-offs of most products including cheap keyboards, this price definitely does seem outlandish at a very simplistic keyboard comparison)

Internaut

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok.... The type cover is most certainly over priced. It feels cheap and nasty. However, in its defence, I am finding it one of the best keyboards I've used for touch typing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb