Why the street price difference between RM-937 and 938?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I plan to buy an unlocked 938 for use on T-Mobile but am in no rush so won't pay a temporary premium over the going prices for a 937.

The 938s are selling for ~$150 more than a 937. I can not see any manufacturing cost differences to account for that. The difference seems to be just the bands and since you can just about buy other complete phones with the 938 bands for that price difference, its not making sense to me.

I can understand it if someone screwed up and built a bazillion more 937s than people wanted, so is that it? If so, then the 938 prices might make sense. But if 938s are just that much more expensive because someone screwed up and built a bazillion less 938s than people wanted, I'll just wait for production to catch up with demand.

Opinions on the reason for the price differences?

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The resellers are importing it into the USA and they need to make some money. Also the built in Qi charging should add a bit to the price as well. Those two would be my guess.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
To be clear, I understand the differences between the two. But IMO they don't amount to a $150 difference so am trying to figure out why there is such a difference at this point in time. I wish Nokia/MS published MSRPs for all their phones because I think the full retail difference between a 937 and 938 is less than that. Discounted prices should be closer together, not farther apart.

So far nobody has mentioned anything to justify that big of a price difference. I guess it is just over/under production or retailers temporarily misjudging the sweet spot. So waiting seems to be the ticket if getting a "deal" is more important than getting the phone "now".

Don't misunderstand, the current 938 prices are not high. They are far below what I would pay for one ....unless I could get one cheaper. ;)

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Understood. The price difference is dictated by what people are willing to pay for those differences. Nokia could MSRP it higher or lower but wouldn't mean a thing on the open market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo