Wifi connection problems with wp 8.1

W

WPCentral Question

I installed wp 8.1 on my lumia 920 on AT&T in USA. I was been unable to connect to wifi at home and hotspots at restaurants so I did a phone reset, which erased all data, etc. ( I knew this would happen). Got connected at home and then I went back to the restaurant which I had trouble with and connected, but when I tried at a different restaurant today, phone showed connected but also said below the connection something like "internet not available". So I tried my connection at home and it still works; turned off cell data to make sure.

So it appears wifi is hit or miss for some reason at different locations that I previously had no problems with before the 8.1 update. Do you know why this problem occurs and is there a fix? If so, what is the fix? If this requires an update, when is that coming? I have a friend with a lumia 820 whom I talked into wp so I feel responsible to get this resolved. Have always been a wp fan so please don't let me down, thanks.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The restaurant you tried to connect to most likely offers a login hot spot, it will connect but when you open the browser it should auto direct you to a login page. Did you try running a browser when connected to that restaurant's Wi Fi?

Also Wi Fi Sense in Wp 8.1 has the ability to automatically log you into free Wi Fi hotspots using faux data, I haven't tested this myself so I cannot attest to the reliability.

Roy Vega

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm aware you sometimes have to open the browser and sign in etc., that was not the case here, it would simply not connect, neither would my friends phone (we were at the same restaurant testing the wifi). And I am also aware of the new Data Sense, which did not seem to work as advertised, signing in automatically etc.. I'm not a tech geek, and I don't mean that in a snarkey way, I know enough to check for those things. In looking at all the posts, there is obviously a problem(s) with the latest wifi software; AT&T says they know of the problems but are waiting for Microsoft and don't have any idea when a fix will be coming; so what's a user to do? All I get is the standard "reset" the phone, are you sure it's plugged in, etc.; does anyone really know the answer? If not, I'd be happier if someone just admitted there's a problem and get to work on it. So, any answers or suggestions? Thank you very much in advance.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I see as it connected just fine on Wp8, it does sound like an issue with the update however as the 920 is tied exclusively to AT&T there is no country variant Rom you can flash to check if it is the update or the rom it self. I had an issue with missing features which were introduced through amber and only got them after re-flashing Cyan.

Unfortunately most who are in the first line of support are given a moronic script to follow, case in point my dad's 620 had his incoming blocked by EE for some bizzare reason and when I spoke to tech support, all the first level support staff were reading off an android manual :grincry: .

Have you tried connecting with Wi Fi Sense off?

Data sense & Wi Fi sense are two different things, one is for connecting to hotspots and the other for keeping a tally of how much Cellular or Wi Fi do you use.

Also I am guessing these Hot spots are completely open and don't need any passwords to get onto the internet?

Roy Vega

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, meant to say "Wifi Sense", not "Data Sense". I thought of that too, tried to connect with it off as well. So a couple days later and have successfully connected at two airports and a restaurant that was new, which reinforces my thought that this is a hit & miss issue and that something in the new update prevents connecting with possibly older routers, less sophisticated or old security software running on these routers; could that be the problem? Did the previous software version allow broader connectivity?

Some of the spots do require some sort of acceptance which is what I was referring to above, that Wifi Sense was not working as advertised. I had t on at one airport and it still asked me to "accept their terms". I presume the feature is supposed to somehow automatically accept and connect you; after accepting, I did connect successfully.

Thanks again for the response and if you have any other input, please let me know.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I for one don't ever use public Wi Fi hot spots due to snooping and use Cellular data as it is some what more secure than using a open Wi Fi connection.
your laptop or smartphone at Wi-Fi hot spots for Hackers

Wi-Fi hotspots a hotbed for hacker activity - Videos - CBS News

For casual browsing such as checking the weather or reading articles is fine but anything else personally wouldn't recommend it. Chances are slim but if your going to do say internet banking on a open Wi Fi channel, your just asking for it lol :p.

Also the upcoming updates may address this issue as people are reporting to have received an update which has enabled the ability to set a static ip on your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy