WiFi only phone possible with 640?

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to use an ATT unlocked Lumia 640 as a wifi only device/phone?
If not now, is this something that will be possible in W10?

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
OK so while I am waiting for the 640 to arrive tomorrow, I just found that Groove ip is in fact in the Store. It is asking for a facebook account to sign in.
I don't recall doing that on my Android phone.
Has anyone used Groove IP on WP? If this question is in the wrong forum, please tell me where to ask. Thanks.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Groove IP I'm seeing in the store looks like it may need to be reported. It appears to be an inferior product that is not genuine, according to reviews. Certainly the developer name does not match with the Android App of the same name.

For VoIP I only use Skype. I rarely need to VoIP. $10 was put into Skype in October 2014 before I went overseas. I used it then for a one month trip and just a couple short calls after. I still $4.68 in my account and it never expires.

Of all the VoIP clients I hear of on the forums that are free... Viber is probably the #1 choice. Search the store for VoIP and check the ratings and reviews.

Here is what I was doing with a SIM-less Lumia: Project: Five2Oh - Windows Central Forums

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to use an ATT unlocked Lumia 640 as a wifi only device/phone?
If not now, is this something that will be possible in W10?

Don't pop in the SIM. Put the phone in airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi manually and bam you have a Wi-Fi only phone with you.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't pop in the SIM. Put the phone in airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi manually and bam you have a Wi-Fi only phone with you.

It'll still complain that you don't have the SIM in the phone every time it reboots. Maybe put the gophone sim back in after unlocking? Until my wife gets her hands on the Android phone she wants my new 640 is WiFi only since we won't go to T-mobile until she has her phone.

My HTC 8XT doesn't work overseas so when I get on the plane to leave the states I go into airplane mode with WiFi and Bluetooth enabled and leave it like that until I get back into the states. I just Skype on WiFi wherever I am for either texting or calling. WP works great WiFi only.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow I thought the paucity of apps at the store was due to some sort of rigorous review. Apparently not.
I will report this Groove IP app when I get back to my WP.
Thanks for listening...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion