Will microsoft continue to support existing phones for long time?

Chaitanya Kumar1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
actually, iam using lumia 820 which is released in 2012... within one month I bout to get windows phone 8.1 update... that is for sure..... and whats my doubt is,,, after 8.1, two more GDRs will come, and later windows phone 9 will release..... will Microsoft make windows phone 9 available to all devices? including old windows phone 8 devices like lumia 820 and 920? this doubt is raised because Samsung will disconnect their software updates support if it is even 6 month old..... but nokia releasing updates for their phones from nearly two years..... even for nokia also.. continueing support for old phone might be difficult... so will nokia stop giving updates for old phones such as... 820, 720, 920???

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
forget nokia , it will be up to Microsoft if they still want to support older hardware (dual core/512MB ram) for the next OS update. Btw I think they shouldn't because the new OS must be a demanding OS (snapdragon 800/1/2GB ram ).

TuanLVT

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
u shouldnt say nokia releasing updates or anything like that... because its not nokia anymore. u have to say "microsoft mobile oy releases..." etc... but into topic... i hope microsoft will support old nokia phones just like apple does support old iphones

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nobody knows. Possibly not even MS knows yet. It's all speculation at this point.

I'd say don't expect it, and take it as a pleasant surprise if they do.

If supporting older devices occupies a large number of engineers that could otherwise be working on new features for new devices, I'd rather not have them supporting older hardware. Otherwise, sure, why not.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't they support older phones, at the OS level?
I could understand not updating firmware, but you should be able to update the operating system.
It's not like they have to add hardware support.
It's already there.

Now, if it was a revolutionary change (like Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8), that would be different.
You can install Windows 8 on a ten year old computer, it will just be slower.
JJ

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Nobody knows. Possibly not even MS knows yet. It's all speculation at this point.

If supporting older devices occupies a large number of engineers that could otherwise be working on new features for new devices, I'd rather not have them supporting older hardware. Otherwise, sure, why not.

What would lead you to believe that? They supported XP for 10 plus years. I think I read they are supporting the current Sufaces until 2017. I haven't heard anyone complain their current Lumia WP8 phone isn't being supported anymore.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I find it hard to believe a company as big as Microsoft cant afford to do both things at once, or more likely they are unwilling to do that, simply unacceptable, a forward thinking company wants all their devices up to date

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss