Will W10M TP be good enough for daily use?

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Wait a couple of days, read news/comments here on WCentral. See how people react on it, is it stable or not for daily use, are there many bugs etc.

What matters me the most is...are simple functions gonna work as they should, like calls and SMS texting.

Conclusion: Don't rush!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Updating your device with beta-preview OS is always risky.
But those who registered to Preview for devs program had no issues with the updates as far as i know.

That's not strictly true, lots of people found their phones had poor battery life and even bootlooping so I would say that unless you have a spare device to test it on then stay away from the preview, but that's just my opinion.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Key thing to keep in mind here is that it's a technical preview and not the old Developer Preview like before which was an almost complete package.

There will be issues with some devices without doubt. I expect to see many posts of people crying about losing stuff or things not working right.

There is always a risk attached to alpha/beta software. If you're not prepared for that risk don't do it. Period. Ignore those who come along and say 'I had no issues' that does not mean you won't.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I had a handset that BSOD'd on 8.1DP. The Nokia tool recovered it OK. But I'd have been annoyed if it was my main handset.
If someone's at all uncomfortable with the idea of bricking a device and/or data loss/corruption, then installing a tech preview OS is probably brave.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Quite a misleading question really.
Of course I expect W10 for mobile to be good enough for daily use.
However, I don't expect the preview we're getting this month to be of a similar standard.

ice8lue

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
There's a big difference between the WP 8.1 Preview for Developers (PD) and the W10 Insider Program (IP):

The PD delivered RTM (ready to manufacture) versions of WP 8.1, meaning they were tested and, in most cases, stable. A beta state, meaning they are developed on, but are mostly feature-complete. From what is said about IP, it is intended to bring out test versions to the masses faster, but those will be in an alpha-state, meaning they are tested very fast and most likely contain bugs, possibly even bigger ones. It's okay for the IP to deliver buggy versions which may not suite the day-to-day use while it was not for the PD.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you happen to replace the screen on your 800? My wife's phone had that problem, but i had gotten a piece of the adhesive in front of it, causing it to not work properly. Took it apart, moved the tape, and voila, it worked perfectly.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
There's a big difference between the WP 8.1 Preview for Developers (PD) and the W10 Insider Program (IP):

The PD delivered RTM (ready to manufacture) versions of WP 8.1, meaning they were tested and, in most cases, stable. A beta state, meaning they are developed on, but are mostly feature-complete. From what is said about IP, it is intended to bring out test versions to the masses faster, but those will be in an alpha-state, meaning they are tested very fast and most likely contain bugs, possibly even bigger ones. It's okay for the IP to deliver buggy versions which may not suite the day-to-day use while it was not for the PD.
The DP builds were never developed on strangely enough. They were the same build that was given out to people later on in every case. (Disappointed because he wanted to try out betas :()

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Having just spent 4 days figuring out how to unbrick my Windows tablet and finally get Win10 installed on a WIMBoot system... I would suggest that if you're comfortable with:
- command-line scripting
- doing a hard reset, if not re-imaging your phone daily
- using 3-15 GB's of data per month solely for downloading updates
- expect to see things freeze, BSOD's, gears that don't go away, apps that crash or just won't run (like Netflix in IE11)
- can live with wildly variable battery life
- providing constructive inputs and troubleshooting to MS in the Insider Program
(Windows Insider Program - Microsoft Community)

And a few other things that come to mind, then you're ready to enjoy Win10 TP for daily use! If not, I'd definitely suggest waiting a few months to give Microsoft the time to work out the kinks and polish off the rough edges that are bound to be in the first few builds.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
And we all know what will happen when 10 is installed on the phones don't we? They will post about how their phone is bricked, how do they unbrick it, blame MS for releasing crap software. Blame MS for making them lose all their contacts etc etc. Blame everybody apart from themselves.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well the previews for Wp8 worked for me mostly....I am hoping W10 TP will follow suit.

There's a difference between Developer Preview and Technical Preview.

With a TP you're dealing with beta software. With the DP you were dealing with almost RTM. The possibility of crashes and things not working are significantly higher with a TP.

I'm not sure what kind of mix we'll get but I'm expecting to see a few threads started by people who installed it on their daily driver, didn't backup their data and are now wondering what to do with their bricked or not properly functioning phone. All because they think they're 'missing out' and can't be bothered to wait.

Unfortunately people are too anxious to have an update just for the sake of having the update without realising that beta software can and will go wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FegleyArnold