will windows 10 include a built in antivirus ?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It will probably include the same AV that 8.x had. Personally I just install AVG Free edition on every computer I've had. I used to have it teenager tested when I worked in IT at a highschool. My worst virus offenders would get their symantec replaced by AVG Free (which I wasn't permitted to do) and were shocked that not only was their system faster, but they no longer got viruses. I've had 1 virus get past it in over 12 years of use.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Windows Defender in 8.1 is absolutley superb. Way better than nearly all virus killers available to buy. Don't believe all the crap you read from the IT media.
In conjunction with the built in Windows Firewall, I have yet to get any sort of virus, bot, worm or rootkit using the built in 'tools'.
Yes... I have been to more than a few 'dodgy' websites. Defender always catches any nasties.

Also bear in mind that on Windows 8 onwards, Defender is basically the excellent MS Security Suite, which used to be a stand alone program.

Currently using the bulit in virus and firewall in Windows Tech Preview, and they have both performed admirably.

I would not recommend using AVG either. Yeah, it's free and one of the better free ones, but is does impact system performance quite a bit.
A virus killer should be silent and very light on resources, which Defender certainly is...

I've tried nearly all the top virus toolkits and firewalls. Most, if not all, are a severe drain on system resources, causing web slowdowns when none of them should.

After 30 years of developing for PC and phones, I would heartily recommend Defender and Windows Firewall as more than capable of protecting your computer and precious files.

IT media always quote skewed results for virus tests, and in my opinion, is not a true test of a virus killer's effectiveness.....

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've use Microsoft Security Essentials in the past as well. At the time it was good and correctly got praised by the industry. I haven't used it since and everyone claims that it doesn't work as well as it used to. I did find in my personal experience (2010) that AVG was still better, but both were FAR superior to symantec.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
cuz windows 8.1 has 1 thats not good all all and every 1 recommends turn it off and buying 1 that is better

Who says that, I know the salespeople in PC World do, but that is probably because they only earn commission on Norton or MacAfee.

I only use Defender.

Defender with a bit of common sense is perfectly good.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss