Will Windows phone on 8.1 be upgraded to Windows 10?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The lack of a desktop doesn't make it a different OS. That would mean the interface makes the OS. No, the interface is just one part of an OS.
If that is how most people generally think about it, then I'd say MS is fine giving their desktop and mobile OSes the same name. In that case I'd also tell the OP, yes, all current WP devices will be upgradable to W10.

I'm just sceptical that is how most see it. I suspect that for most people, the UI IS the OS.

I'm also sceptical the tech press will agree. I expect most to start off by explaining how this version of Windows 10, again despite being called Windows, can't run any Windows software.
Even if you think having a completely different UI is not a big deal, I think that to most people, not running the millions of desktop programs people associate with Windows is.

If this is how most people think, then I'd tell the OP, no, your WP device will not get what the media is currently referring to as W10, but a significantly cut down version of it.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If that is how most people generally think about it, then I'd say MS is fine giving their desktop and mobile OSes the same name. In that case I'd also tell the OP, yes, all current WP devices will be upgradable to W10.

I'm just sceptical that is how most see it. I suspect that for most people, the UI IS the OS.

I'm also sceptical the tech press will agree. I expect most to start off by explaining how this version of Windows 10, again despite being called Windows, can't run any Windows software.
Even if you think having a completely different UI is not a big deal, I think that to most people, not running the millions of desktop programs people associate with Windows is.

If this is how most people think, then I'd tell the OP, no, your WP device will not get what the media is currently referring to as W10, but a significantly cut down version of it.

A) Nobody should care what the media says these days.
B) That isn't even what the OP was a talking about. He was asking if the devices we carry now will be stuck on WP 8.1 or if it will be getting an upgrade when 10 comes out. Nothing more, nothing less. It's why his "best answer" was about that very subject.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A) Nobody should care what the media says these days.

Agree, but that isn't the world we live in.

B) That isn't even what the OP was a talking about. He was asking if the devices we carry now will be stuck on WP 8.1 or if it will be getting an upgrade when 10 comes out. Nothing more, nothing less. It's why his "best answer" was about that very subject.

Based solely on the first post, you can't know exactly what the OP was talking about.

If by "W10" the OP is referring to what is currently being discussed in the media, which isn't completely unreasonable given both OSes have the same name, then the answer to the OP's question is "no", even if every current WP device is eventually updated. The answer depends on what point of view the OP is asking from. As long as people have different ideas on what constitutes a W10 update (how about a developer preview update without firmware?), then our answers should take that variability into account. At least that is what I think.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatboy7000