Will you jump ship?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Apple are a joke, have been since Cook took over. They are becoming more and more self-canibalistic and their identity which got them where they are has become more and more worthless.

The new iphone whatever size it is will be bought in the hundreds of millions obviously and the market will get flooded with second hand iphone 5's. However I cant see many people that arent entrenched in iOS, and itunes jumping ship. In my opinion the only people that really stay with apple now are those with huge libraries of media and apps that they arent willing to lose. Every iphone owner around me at work has gone to either android or wp in the last 6 months, even the ipads are looking scarce at the moment in my office the windows 8 hybrids are now in the majority.

Thankfully ijumped from apple long ago and im now entrenched in the windows ecosystem so wont be going anywhere.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I will switch if worst comes for worst but maybe to symbian and another Nokia device. It's miles more durable than any apple or android ****.

PS I'm bothered that the iphone is such a status symbol around these parts of the world

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
To sum up this topic.
Apple has momentum, and has reached the max of their innovation. That they have shown. iPhone 5, the only really noticeable thing is the screen size. Yay. Android had everything else plus the screen size years ago. Even LTE which they were so excited to announce.

Microsoft is just starting off and Windows Phone 8 is their actual official product. (I believe 7 could have been more of a beta software in my eyes, that ran fine but they knew they could add more.)
Windows Phone 8 is just a new start to a whole new aspect of Mobile OS. Unlike what Android, Apple, and now Blackberry do (A OS based on apps.) Windows Phone is based off getting things done, and being connected. You don't need apps to use a windows phone, you almost do for any of these other phones.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Im not being funny or anything, and Im not biased ( I have an internship with Microsoft starting in a couple of years) but Windows Phone is the only OS to have on a phone. I wish I was exaggerating when I say Android and IOS and certainly Blackbbery OS feel so dated next to windows phone. I had a go at someone's Galaxy S3 against my 8X and honestly I hated it so much. I wanted to like it because it has some stunning specs but it delivers very little. Windows phone just works the way you expect it to. Simplistic, elegant without being flashy. That's its attraction - metro interface.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Probably not. If I were to jump ship, it would be to Android. Apple hasn't done much to impress in the smartphone market.

However, I have been pretty happy with my Lumia so far. My only issue is that WhatsApp kills the battery. In fact, WhatsApp is the only thing between me saying "probably not" vs. "Absolutely not".

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
With the fiasco involving apps not optimized for the new screen size? Uh, no thanks.

Also, why bother discussing about Apple? They haven't made anything innovative since 2010, what with their bland homescreen and UI. (Assuming that most of their devices are innovative in any way)

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My coworker just got an S3. I put a mini-challenge to him to awake his phone, open the mail app, and then send a quick text to me. I in return, was to do the same thing with my last generation HTC Trophy. Guess what, I freaking smoked him hands down. He was just getting into the mail program as I was hitting the send button in the text messaging. He couldn't believe it and so we did it about 3 times over and each time, my 2 year old Trophy beat his phone hands down.

This is why phone specs are pretty meaningless to me. I'm using an old single core processor and he's using the latest and greatest. Despite having the killer specs, his phone still lags, and is somewhat slow compared to a last generation single core processor design.

Never Android or Apple again and I've had both (original iPhone, Droid OG, Droid X).

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife has in iPhone 4S, while my 822 is in the mail (coming off a Pre 2). Having used webOS, iOS, played a lot with Android 2.x and 4.x, I can honestly say that only webOS can trump WP8, and only in certain usability areas...WP8 is smoother and faster (I've played extensively with 822's and 8X's and the smoothness of WP8 is just fantastic). WP8 has that combination of ease of use, smooth and fluid interface, and key features. iOS is simply to locked down and boring, while Android is still a cluster (though clearly better with the JB builds than in the past), not too mention that I can't stand what Google has become. For Apple to get my business, they would have to dramatically fix their core issues, which includes the overpriced phones.

With all of these low and mid-range Lumias being released, and working better than many high end Androids, I think you will see WP8 take off dramatically this next 6 months, assuming Nokia can ramp up the manufacturing. I see WP8 at somewhere between 50-80 million users by the end of the year. I'm quite sure MS will continue to update, fixing many of the "nagging" issues this year. And considering the number of developers that have apparently come on this past couple of months, I would expect a flood of apps in the next 6 months as well.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I will be jumping ship to a platform where the home company actually updates. I haven't decided which platform but Microsoft is really pissing me off right now. Nokia has mitigated things with their awesome, awesome support. I just wish Nokia owned Windows Phone 8.

That said, I keep hoping that Nokia releases a decent PDF viewer/editor.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
..if the iPhone 6 or whatever will have a 5 inch screen?
Okay, there are so many reasons to jump ship from Windows Phone; but, 5" iPhone was not one that had remotely crossed my mind. Hahahahaha...

Don't worry about it lfjj. It won't happen. Apple at least partly believes a phone should be one hand operable. The other reason they won't increase the size of the phone is that any even minor increase in display size will seriously cut into its profit margins. Hence, the iPhone 5 and Apple stock fiasco as well as the significantly lower profitability of Samsung compared to Apple despite their using of inferior materials everywhere else in their Galaxy S line.

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually did jump ship. I was a Windows Phone diehard and my Lumia 710 was an excellent phone. But the WP7.8 update was prettymuch pointless and only served to irritate me. The new live tiles chew data and battery power, the hubs that are always continuously connecting and refreshing chews through even more. As much as I love having a little XBL avatar, even playing Angry Birds EATS through data. My Lumia wasn't even lasting a whole day and was starting to cost me close to $40 a month. I'm a uni student and this is simply something I can't afford. Windows Phone has always been PATHETIC at messaging. It's dubbed as a social phone, but it can't even multitask between messaging apps, and the few that is has are only half featured and aren't reliable. WP7 Can't screenshot. WP7 Can't multitask.
So I switched to a Blackberry Bold 9700. It costs me $10 a month for unlimited internet and messaging, has better apps, is better at messaging, is more reliable and the battery lasts nearly five times what my lumia did.

App wise, BBOS6 kicks windows phone's butt. This is an old, out of date platform running on weak hardware. It's still lag free. and has better multitasking.
  • Facebook Messenger (doesn't exist on wp, built in facebook chat is both unreliable and doesn't support images or location, file sharing etc.)
  • Viber (sucks ass on windows phone. BB got the update for Viber Stickers, emoticons, and file sharing, and WP still doesn't have these. it doesn't quickly resume and notifications aren't reliable)
  • Kik (wp can send pictures, but once again. Doesn't quickly resume, doesn't always connect. notifications aren't reliable.)
  • Spotify (sucks on windows phone, I can locally sync songs from my spotify desktop, as well as wirelessly. I couldn't do that at all on WP.)
  • GOOGLE MAPS WITH LATITUDE (WP will never have this, and nokia here doesn't hold a candle to it.)
  • Yahoo Mesenger (I use this service the most, and there simply isn't a WP app for it. Even though Yahoo is in a partnership with Nokia and Microsoft. It's stupid that this isn't available.)
  • Google Talk (Third party WP clients don't hold a candle to the bb version.)
  • Instagram (fully featured third party apps that even let you upload photos to IG.)
  • 4SHARED (download any file from the service)
  • Un-Rar (Extract files from an archive using the file browser)
  • Opera Mini (I missed this app so much when I moved from android to WP. Its a great browser and saves a ton of data. Its a LOAD better than Nokia xpress.)
  • Facebook (This app runs MILES around the horrid Windows Phone 7 version. It loads in about one second and has nearly every feature that the android and iphone versions have.)
  • Tumblr (There's an official tumblr app. It's not amazing but it actually works and I don't have to pay to post to the service.)
  • Twitter and WhatsApp are also a lot faster and more feature rich than their WP counterparts.
  • Music wise, I have EQ. I didn't have this on WP at all. It has a file browser and I'm able to send any kind of file from my phone using Bluetooth, Email etc.
  • You can hide photo albums without having a separate app, back up all the content on your phone (not just songs or a pre-update backup) and restore it whenever you like.
  • I have a notification center and device wide search, which I can access from the homescreen.
  • I can pay for apps from the app store with PAYPAL. I cannot do this on Windows Phone. Some people don't own a credit card, and the fact that you cant buy a windows marketplace voucher really stops people from buying otherwise useful apps. (you can buy iTunes cards and Google Play vouchers, but nothing for WP.)

This is a long list of actually important features. All of which aren't available on Windows Phone 7 or 8.

I do miss the Office/One-Note/Skydrive hub. That was an excellent and really seamless experience. However once again Quick-Office for blackberry has more formatting and viewing features. Documents actually retain their formatting (documents look identical to their desktop counterparts) and you can edit tables. Even if it doesn't wirelessly sync to my desktop (i'm pretty sure its possible but I haven't tried it yet.) I can plug my blackberry into a workstation and copy documents off the device and onto a computer. I would never have been able to do this on a Windows Phone.

The only thing I really really miss from Windows Phone was the larger screen.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My wife has in iPhone 4S, while my 822 is in the mail (coming off a Pre 2). Having used webOS, iOS, played a lot with Android 2.x and 4.x, I can honestly say that only webOS can trump WP8, and only in certain usability areas...

Who knows what could've been with WebOS. That OS was freaking amazing and the card system was pure genius. When I first got my Trophy, I remember holding the back arrow and trying to flick the programs up to close them LOL.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
No.

I like being able to use any usb connector to charge my phone. I like having options on hardware. I like the OS integration with Windows 8 and even current and upcomming game consoles. I like following my own path. I like specializing my home screen. Am I going to wait for Apple to catch up with screen refresh rate, screen density, screen size, screen brightness, camera technology, and enterprise integration? I don't think so. The next phone I jump ship for will be 5" 1080p, but it will be a WP.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I thinking of it yes. and it has nothing to do with the OS...in fact I love the OS. it has everything to do with the devices. that are on my carrier. Sorry I don't see the 8x as being high end..more so with the problems they are having with the coating coming off..OS crashes.... Yea company wise no i'll stay with the 12 L710 The home phones are all locked for a year or more just my old HD7..... Maybe in a few more years MS will let them support larger screens and read PDF....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6