Windows 10 April 2018 Update biggest problems and complaints

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
windows-10-april-1803-problems-compliants.jpg

The April 2018 Update is yet another big refresh for Windows 10, but it's causing headaches for some users.
After several weeks of delays, on April 30 Microsoft gave the green light and started rolling out the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) to compatible devices. Initially, the company made available the new version using the Media Creation Tool and Update Assistant, and then, on May 8, it became available more broadly through Windows Update.
This is the fifth major release of Windows 10, which introduces a few new features, such as Timeline to resume activities you were working on in the past, and Nearby sharing to easily share files and links without complicated setups. Also, the new version includes numerous improvements in the Settings app, Microsoft Edge, Windows Defender Security Center, Fluent Design, and a slew of other small changes.
While this is a significant update meant to improve Windows 10 over the previous releases, the rollout is not going as smoothly as everyone would have hoped. Even after weeks of Microsoft fixing last minute bugs, some frustrated users have been reporting problems and many complaints with Windows 10 version 1803.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Here's what I do (which resolves 99% of post-install problems): install via ISO then re-install (do an in-place upgrade). I always use the in-built Administrator account to install Windows ISOs. Then I run sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to ensure OS integrity. I did encounter the Windows Store problem, but it was fixed by running WSReset.exe as an administrator. I cannot provide answers relating to hardware-based issues. The Media Creation tool is notorious for getting things wrong, so I direct download my ISOs using a Chrome Mobile Browser emulator, then hash-verify their file checksums to ensure that I downloaded the correct image. For more information on how to direct download ISOs from Microsoft, visit this link:

https://techxoom.com/direct-link-download-windows-10-iso-without-media-creation-tool/

Every Windows install since 10586 has re-enabled Fast Startup, so this is not a new problem. It also resets CPU cores in MSConfig. Performance issues, BSODs, app freezes, and other bugs can be resolved by executing an in-place upgrade after install. One reason that this solution works is because an in-place upgrade gets rid of files that linger from the previous build upgrade. I am not saying that this is always true, but it has always worked for me. Good luck, and I hope that this solves your problems.

flaming_motion

May 28, 2018
Visit site
So, clean install (via a bootable usb) -> in-place upgrade (with the same ISO?) -> sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth WSReset.exe? Thanks for the info, I usually just did a clean install after every major update, but this is definitely nice to know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos