Windows 10 install issues

Dr_Heath

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I currently have windows 8.1 installed on my computer. Every time i go try and install windows on the selected partition it gives me two errors (see attachment for pic)
Why wont it support gpt, Windows 7 and 8 do?
And why does it say my computer wont boot to the selected disk, its the same disk with windows 8 on it and i have dual booted before with other windows os.
Am i doing something wrong?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Questions like this demonstrate that there are users who shouldn't be using a technical preview of a product.

In this instance i'll tell you what you need to know but you really should consider doing this in a VM or to a VHD instead of dual Booting.

You clearly have a system that boots using UEFI as opposed to BIOS.

GPT formatted discs can only be booted from a UEFI environment and what has happened here is you have booted in legacy mode.

I'm guessing this is being done from a USB key and not a CD/DVD as this would not occur.

You need to restart the system and bring up the one time boot menu (normally F12) and then choose the UEFI boot option for the USB device you are booting from. The install should go through as normal.

Again i would advise against you doing this as dual boot.

Dr_Heath

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Questions like this demonstrate that there are users who shouldn't be using a technical preview of a product.

In this instance i'll tell you what you need to know but you really should consider doing this in a VM or to a VHD instead of dual Booting.

You clearly have a system that boots using UEFI as opposed to BIOS.

GPT formatted discs can only be booted from a UEFI environment and what has happened here is you have booted in legacy mode.

I'm guessing this is being done from a USB key and not a CD/DVD as this would not occur.

You need to restart the system and bring up the one time boot menu (normally F12) and then choose the UEFI boot option for the USB device you are booting from. The install should go through as normal.

Again i would advise against you doing this as dual boot.

Thanks for your reply,

When I created the bootable USB it appears i accidentally selected mbr for bios. I selected UEFI and it works fine now.

Thanks for your concern about me using technical previews but I need them to test hardware compatibility, and have installed technical previews many times on both windows and macs.

Thanks

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have this same issue with a hard drive that will not allow any installation to it for Windows 7,8 or 10. I have formatted the drive and have changed it from GPT to MBR format because i was using it as for a test drive on server 2012. It works as an external drive for now haven't had time to sit down with the drive to change anything else and I am running the installation from a dvd.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
when you're having issues of this nature, I strongly recommend running it in a virtual machine, be it HyperV, VMWare Player or Workstation. Easier, faster, safer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss