Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Inactive)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

Strange....opened "my contacts" app, and now I have everything in triplicate???

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I'm out of my depth here, but wouldn't the OTA jump straight to 14915.1?

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14915.1000.]

I just went through restoring my L950 using WDRT last night, it had been running the latest Redstone build. I thought I'd share my experience, some might find it useful.

Ensure you have a backup before starting, you'll need to log in your Onedrive account to check this. Assuming you have a backup, go ahead and use the WDRT tool to restore your handset. In my case it restored a version of Windows 10 Mobile, but not the one I expected. It did not install the anniversary update, but instead installed an earlier version, this meant that my backup did not properly/fully restore, and I was left without a START screen, only an app list. I literally had no START screen at all, couldn't even get to an empty one. The only way to resolve this was to pin an app to the START screen, and then it created a blank START screen with just this one pinned app on it. However, you can avoid all these issues and restore your backup properly if you follow the steps below.

Run WDRT and flash your handset with whatever is available for your handset.
Once the above has completed, go to settings and update your handset immediately. Once it has installed any available updates, check again in case there are any more updates and install them.
Next, go to Settings > System > About then scroll down to the bottom and tap "reset your phone".
When the phone restarts after the reset has finished, you can then log in with your Microsoft account and restore your backup. It should restore properly now.

The version of Windows 10 Mobile you should end up with is the fairly recent anniversary update of Win10M which works well and is generally reliable, but doesn't have some of the newer refinements of the later Redstone builds. However my experience of the very latest Redstone build on my L950 was not good at all. If you do want to get the very latest builds, you'll need to sign up for "release previews" on the Insider program.

Beware, it will likely spend a loooong time downloading all your apps (especially if you have as many apps as I do), and it will get hot during this time. You can monitor the progress of these downloads by opening the Store, click the burger at the top-right and then select "downloads and updates", you can then monitor the queue, and the progress of each app as it downloads/installs if you wish.

Good luck.

16 hours later - it's a breath of fresh air, it all just works!

Last edited:

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

WLHPqyM.jpg

And she's right!

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 Phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon