Windows 10 - Oct 15 Update breaks Windows 10

PandoraHarper

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I may be new to this forum, but have been using Windows since 3.1, way way back in the day.

Problem Summary:
1. Unable to get past load screen (which is black) after allowing Windows 10 to update itself on 10/16/15 AM
2. Unable to get into Safe Mode because of above
3. Unable to boot from USB / DVD / CD because of lack of proper hardware / software
4. Hardware in question: Vaio Sony Laptop, originally running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

History
I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows Home Pro (I think) about a month ago. Normally I pay WAY more attention to both hardware, SOFTWARE and OS concerns, but this was a replacement Vaio laptop, and I haven't had it long enough to go through all my usual hoops when acquiring a new or used machine. The laptop came from a remote client, who reported it was gently used by office staff, but had been sitting unused for a while. He mailed the laptop to me, without any sort of OS backup media.

He reported to me about 3 weeks after I got the laptop, that he had upgraded to Windows 10 with a couple of his machines, and was happy. After a couple of weeks, I decided to take the plunge, and now I am WAY BEYOND sorry.

Machine Usage
I am a freelancer and work from home. I have a main machine that is running an aging Windows 7 install, and I use a laptop to run Skype, IM and other minor Apps to stay in touch with clients. Also, in a pinch, it can be used outside the house for work, or for back up if needed. I had plans to re-format the HD of the Windows 7 machine, which is a big deal and much needed. Now, without having a back-up machine, this plan is on hold.

Safe Mode, Where Art Thou?
If I could just get into safe mode on this stupid laptop, I might be able to get somewhere. But because of the newer aspects of windows 8 and 10, F8 no longer supports this. And since I can't even get to the LOGIN screen, I can't negotiate with the Restart options I've read online for getting into Safe Mode.

Recovery Options - Unavailable
In addition, I can't create a recovery image or anything like that, because I don't have the correct hardware (or for that matter, OS) on the Windows 7 machine.

Sink or Swim?
Should I just assume the laptop is beyond help (which just kills me. it's a sweet little laptop and it has a year or 2 of life left), or is there a trick maybe I haven't found online yet?

The touchpad works, but this black screen makes me think maybe it's a video issue. I suppose I could try hooking up the big monitor, but dunno what that will really do. If I am not mistaken, the laptop has an onboard video POS chip. POS meaning Piece of Crap.

Last edited:

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't remember an October 15th update.
But nothing has broken here, so who knows what happened to you, if your Windows 10 is clean installed or just upgraded which can cause a lot of issues.

"Unable to boot from USB / DVD / CD because of lack of proper hardware / software" I don't understand what lack of "proper" hardware and software mean, do you mean you don't have a usb or dvd with Windows 10? or you mean you can't just boot? because sometimes it's just about config it correctly on Bios and then press F12 or something to get to the boot menu.

But if you didn't have a windows 10 installation or anything, I am sure you will get to "automatic repair" when you force restarting on your laptop, when it's loading, eventually you can get there. if it doesn't fix your computer, you can always go to advanced options and then go into the recovery mode of Windows 10. which would be the equivalent of the repair mode when you have the windows 10 installation.

And then there Advanced Options it's all you need, where you can restore your computer or command prompt, but if you go troubleshoot > advanced options > Startup & Settings and then you can restart where it will give you those options to go into safe mode.

so only if you got the Windows 10 usb/dvd or you can get into recovery mode by force restart your computer everything would be easier for you to fix it and do what you want. then you could troubleshoot and see if it's a videodriver issue or you can just restore your computer and it will fix the issue since you say it was an update.

This is the process on recovery environment.

recovery-environment-windows-10.png
advanced-options-icon.png
startup-settings-icon.png
restart-with-startup-settings-enabled.png
Startup-settings-screen.png

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Switch the laptop on and off 3 times. You can then boot into safe mode...

I.e. Interrupt the boot process, not quickly before windows starts to boot.

PandoraHarper

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a ton to you all who answered my post. I turned it on Saturday 10/17/15 in the afternoon, and now I can log in and everything SEEMS alright. I'll be checking everything over the next couple of days. I have to guess that MS pushed another patch while I had it on all day yesterday, and when I turned it on today it did act like there was yet another update going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124