Windows 10 Preview build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Inactive)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 PC and Mobile preview build 14915 released for Fast ring Insiders | Windows Central

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-14915-for-pc-and-mobile/#4PY06RiF2jrJDUlc.97

This build and version is currently only for PC on Insider Fast. This build no longer current.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things Windows 10 build 14915, discuss it here.

[TIP]Basic tip

If you're having any issues with your device, try a reset.

Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > This provides you with two options: 1. keep my files and 2. remove everything[/TIP]

[TIP]Keep my files

Does just as its name describes. If you choose the setting you can reinstall Windows 10 without having to back up any of the pictures, videos, music and documents that you have stored on it. You absolutely should back up these things just in case, but you shouldn’t need to use that back up. Keep My Files requires a certain amount of free space on your device. As such, it may be unavailable to you if your device is stuffed with a lot of files. If you get an error message asking for more storage when you choose this option you’ll need to back up your files and choose the remove everything option. You could also delete any files that you aren’t using on your device and try the option again. This option will take longer than the other options.[/TIP]

[TIP]Remove Everything

Deletes every file, every setting from your device and gives you a blank copy of Windows 10 to work with. You’ll need to add any files you have backed up to your device again [/TIP]

Improvements and fixes for PC

• We fixed the issue with being unable to use the power button on the Start menu.
  • We fixed the issue causing Cortana's text to speech capabilities to not work. Cortana should be able to read text messages out loud for you, tell jokes, sing, or give verbal prompts as expected.
  • We fixed the issue causing the Settings app to crash on certain editions of Windows 10 when navigating to different settings pages due to a missing .dll file.
  • We made a number of improvements to translations, including fixing an issue in Windows Update where it would say "your phone is up to date" in French when confirming that your PC was up to date.
  • Changing functionality via Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program such as your ring settings should now work again on this build. For more information – see this forum post.
  • We fixed a compatibility issue from a recent platform change that causes apps such as Yahoo Mail, Trivia Crack, Google and the Skype Translator Preview app to crash.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a delay in Mail notification toasts appearing.
  • We fixed an issue where the "Open with" dialog's "Look for another app on this PC" link wasn't working if the dialog appeared after using the "Run" dialog to open a file with an unassociated file type.
  • We have updated the Connect flyout so that the clickable area for each device listed now spans across the full width of the flyout.
  • We fixed an issue where if a Chinese Input Method Editor is active it could result in logging in to not succeed after device goes into and is woken up from Connected Standby.
  • We fixed an issue where for certain websites in Microsoft Edge, using CTRL + A to select all text and then copying it and trying to paste it into Notepad wouldn't paste anything.
  • We fixed an issue where importing favorites into Microsoft Edge from Internet Explorer would fail if the Favorites folder had been redirected to another folder, for example "C:\Users\\Documents\Favorites".
Known issues for PC

• Adobe Acrobat Reader crashes when you try to launch it.
  • You may experience a black screen when signing out and switching to another user account and will be unable to log in to that account. A reboot of your PC should allow you to log in to that account. Bash may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to "Turn Windows features on or off", scroll down and check "Windows Subsystem for Linux (beta)" and click ok. After a reboot, Bash should work again.
  • The Settings app may crash when going to Settings > Personalization.

Last edited:

krafty11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The wireless driver won't work since installing 14915 on my Surface Pro 1. Just posting here before downloading drivers on another machine, to see if anyone else has noticed this or if it's coincidence?

krafty11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried to install the Wi-Fi driver manually with no luck, had to revert back to 905, where the Wi-Fi works but it immediately installed 915 again and I can't stop builds or go to Slow with 905, so I have to go with no internet on that device until the next build

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 build 14915 breaks WiFi on older Surface Pro devices | Windows Central

Microsoft engineers are aware of the problem, and say they are looking into getting this fixed in upcoming builds. In the meantime however, it is advised you do not update to this build if you are using a Surface Pro 1 or 2. If you have upgraded, you may have luck in downgrading back to your previous build. If not, reinstalling a clean version of Windows should do the trick.

If you've encountered this issue, make sure you let the Insider team know via the Feedback Hub.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi :) I have Tenda W311MI USB Wireless Adapter, after updating to 14915 it stopped working, showing 'Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)' error, if anyone got it working on this build, please share your workaround.

David Goldman

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I haven't found a USB Wifi workaround, gotta roll back to previous release in order to get WiFi back up and running to USB adapters. Then you gotta set the updates to be suspended for the max 7 days, and keep re-upping that so this busted release doesn't reinstall.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't have roll back option because installed it fresh from downloaded ESD on new SSD, waiting for fix from MS, using Ethernet connectivity for now :-S

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
If any one got Tenda W311MI (RT5370) got working on this build, please share your driver / workaround here.

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
i ended up dropping back to build 14905. The wifi dropping was too much. I am on a Yoga 2 Pro, Intel AC7260 wifi adapter. Is Microsoft sure this affects only Surface devices? What kind of wifi adapter do the surface devices have?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte