Windows 10 Tablet mode

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I nearly only use tablet mode on my Surface Pro. As soon as I take it out of the sleeve, I flip the keyboard behind it and have the pen in my hand. If I'm at a desk, then keyboard is still under it and the stand is adjusted to studio mode. I do a lot of handwriting notes and sketches so that my "go to" mode. I only occasionally flip the keyboard back to use the mouse/keyboard. I do most all my navigating with fingers and pen. Other people ask me how I make it look easy while they hate it and I say its simply a matter of function and just "doing it". If you don't write on screen or use any ink features, its not a mode you really need. If you like laptops, then the Surface is an excellent, lightweight laptop. If you like tablets, then its perfect for that too. If you need a drawing board or writing notebook, its perfect for that too! It really is a fantastic, versatile device.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. I'm a heavy inking user and my SP3 and 4 have been my primary note books for years now. My home office is 99% paperless because of inking technology.

But what's equally great is to be able to flip on the keyboard, zip out of tablet/note taking mode and sync straight into a rock solid desktop mode.

I'm a big fan of the surface pro/book devices. The tablet-to-inking-to-desktop experience is awesome

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no.
Yes I like tablet mode, but no I don't when compared to 8.1
I wish MS would incorporate a lot of the features from 8.1, the swiping particularly was far superior.
Hands down, the UI touch experience of 8.1 is the best touch experience of ANY touch UI platform, period.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
It's been neglected. When it comes to tablet mode on Windows 10, it could use some love. The keyboard leaves much to be desired. It's missing the joystick from Windows 10 Mobile. It's got NONE of the features from SwiftKey. How about the Start Screen? It doesn't have transparent tiles from Windows 10 mobile. You can't label the folders. The folders aren't live. It's even lost functionality from Windows 8.1. Remember you used to be able from the start screen all apps list you could pinch and select what app you'd like to see by group; app by date installed, apps by usage & alphabetical? Or pinch the start screen from the tile interface and go straight to a specific tile group? Microsoft Launcher on Android has more consumer facing features than windows 10 tablet mode. Microsoft isn't listening to anyone. People are begging for things that could be found either on Microsoft Launcher or on Windows 10 Mobile(custom notification sounds) and Next lock screen. At this point, If windows tablet ux doesn't improve, i don't plan on buying another Surface unless it can also run android outta the box.

Eric Martin4

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I love windows 10, but it's RIDICULOUS that while using two apps at once in tablet mode, if you rotate the screen you , must first go to full screen with only one app before the screen will rotate! Also, the fact that only one app at a time is allowed in vertical orientation. these are huge oversights and should have long been fixed.

NICK GAY

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
How do you all feel about Windows 10 Tablet mode? I really loved it on Windows 8.1. I don't hate it now but I feel like something more cam be done? Maybe some kind of aesthetic that combines windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile? I'm not a developer so I don't know how feasible that would be?

I do want it to be redone. It needs an update. And that update needs to be soon.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 was a far better design for tablets. It desperately needed a feature to switch from landscape scrolling to portrait scrolling when the tablet is turned round, but that never came. Mind you Windows 10 is now stuck in portrait scrolling mode which is great for portrait, but awful for landscape. In that way, Win10 actually feels better on a tablet in portrait than it does on a desktop in the usual landscape mode. Crazy. The main problem with Windows 8 is that it was not developed. Windows 10 now has stuff like WMR that puts it in a new league. So, we must use our touch on Win10 now, 8 is too far back :-(

So the problem is I need touch even more now. With WMR, using the 'desktop' in the virtual space with touch controllers obviously flows far better in tablet mode. So you'd think that Continuum would auto-switch as it claims it can. But no. Despite Win10 supposedly being smart enough to morph on to any device, it can't even get it right with it's own VR system. And that little tablet mode button is not easy to catch in VR I can tell you.

Once actually in tablet mode though, I like Win10. I just wish it had the benefits of Win8 as well to make it truly great but Microsoft just don't seem that committed to this Continuum lark. Even with my Yoga convertible Win10 will happily switch modes automatically as I 'convert' my Yoga, but if I shut down my Yoga as a tablet, then close it up, then later start it as a laptop it'll be in ruddy tablet mode! Turns out this is how Windows does it for convertibles in general, which is just another example.

Bit of a worry for devices like Andromeda going forward...

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
For me tablet mode is the new windows and the desktop mode is a bygone era. For me the start menu and live tile functionality and how tablet mode works fits my workflow and my needs of how the OS works. For a mobile tablet device it's the default setting to go for, for me. when using more apps from the store it is a more natural experience to use the full screen startmenu in tablet mode and work in an optimal flow of two apps side by side for optimal productivity. I haven't used the desktop mode on any of my windows pc devices (surface pro, desktop machine) for the last 5-6 years.

Tablet mode made a lot of progress in the early days of windows 10 insiders, but has lately come to a standstill. This is unfortunate as there are still many unifinished features in windows after three years. Windows is get more polished, but I notice that the OS is still very much under construction when looking at the OS from a tablet mode experience perspective, even in relation to the OS as a desktop.

Last edited:

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Unlike Windows 8x, Windows 10's tablet facing features are poorly thought out. It's a MAJOR step backwards, and in 3 years of release, Microsoft still hasn't fixed it. I doubt they ever will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deewinc