Windows 10X, a pathway back to Windows phone?

Jamie Brahm

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
I wish I knew the answer. My only wild guess is to really ease people back into Microsoft making phones. I assume they want to sell it as a complete Enterprise package down the road for businesses since Android has their "Enterprise" grade controls. But I sadly do not have the answer as to why really

I guess we'll see. But that's a question android fans won't ask, and it merits asking.

Could be that. Could be they just want to establish credibility in the market. Could be they have a software bridge planned between android and UWP, or azure. But it's not just 'we want to sell phones' or 'we can make lots of earnings on android apps'.

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I guess we'll see. But that's a question android fans won't ask, and it merits asking.

Could be that. Could be they just want to establish credibility in the market. Could be they have a software bridge planned between android and UWP, or azure. But it's not just 'we want to sell phones' or 'we can make lots of earnings on android apps'.

Agree it isn't about necessarily the apps and or android.

Nathan Sokalski

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
As a Windows developer, I would be more than willing to put every effort I have into modifying my apps for dual screen devices like Neo, and even more (although hopefully the changes would be mostly the same), the Duo. But one thing that is sometimes hard is making the best optimizations and full use of features without the actual device. Emulators and the available debugging tools are definitely useful, but nothing beats testing on the actual device. Back when I developed for Windows Phone, there were (although very few) occasional scenarios in which trying it on the emulator and on the actual device were not 100% the same (very close, but not 100%). Also, sometimes just the way an experience feels when using the device can give ideas for improving an app. So having an actual device, even if used only by developers, would be useful.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
It would be great to have a Surface Duo running with Windows, I can't understant why MS launched a cool device like this running Android.

Because (1) iOS is not an option and (2) because Windows phones were a 10 billion dollar failure.

Android was their only choice. As someone once said, "I don't see the need for a third phone OS".

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It would never happen. Store staff in the U.K. actively turned people away from MS devices. When THAT happens, the devices are doomed even if they're pretty good.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos