Windows 7 to Windows 10 update doubts

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lenovo E series laptop and it had an OEM activated genuine Windows 7 Pro ... But after 1 year I had some issue with the BIOS and I had to re-install Windows.. I didn't spend time trying to install the Genuine version ,instead I just installed a non genuine version and Updated to Windows 10 Tech preview.. Now W10RTM is near and I have the key for windows 7 pro which is given under my laptop.. Is it possible to re-use the same Key to install Windows 7 again?.. I tried the key to download Windows 7 ISO from official MS site and it said " This key is already been used for one device.Contact your device manufacturer...
Is there anybody who can help me with that? Thanks in advance :)

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Try reinstalling Windows 7 Pro OEM using the Product Key on the laptop. If the install works but still doesn't get Activated you can call Microsoft and go through a manual process for clearing up the Product Key re-use issue. You'll then be ready for the Windows 10 upgrade.

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Try reinstalling Windows 7 Pro OEM using the Product Key on the laptop. If the install works but still doesn't get Activated you can call Microsoft and go through a manual process for clearing up the Product Key re-use issue. You'll then be ready for the Windows 10 upgrade.

But I can't install Win7 pro with the product key given under my laptop.. When I try to download ISO files from MS they are asking for the Key and when I type it.. They are saying "this product key is already been used for one device.. Please contact manufacturer" ..

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
But I can't install Win7 pro with the product key given under my laptop.. When I try to download ISO files from MS they are asking for the Key and when I type it.. They are saying "this product key is already been used for one device.. Please contact manufacturer" ..

Did you use windows 7 sp1 ISO? windows 7 without sp1 key can't be used to install windows 7 with SP1

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
You should install your OEM ISO image, not one from MS. Install Windows 7 without a key (skip) and after you finish try to use your OEM key and choose Activation Phone.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to getting the ISO from Microsoft There is one caveat , this only works with retail store bought or what are known as shrinked wrapped products. If you have an OEM preinstall or OEM System Builder license, this option will not work for you. Originally Microsoft had the ISO's available through digital river but they disabled that and the store option is the only official outlet from Microsoft.

At this stage of the game you really only have 2 options.
  1. Contact lenovo and purchase the restore media
  2. Use the cd you installed 7 with last time and go to the windows activation section of the system page and enter your Genuine key from your laptop

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to getting the ISO from Microsoft There is one caveat , this only works with retail store bought or what are known as shrinked wrapped products. If you have an OEM preinstall or OEM System Builder license, this option will not work for you. Originally Microsoft had the ISO's available through digital river but they disabled that and the store option is the only official outlet from Microsoft.

At this stage of the game you really only have 2 options.
  1. Contact lenovo and purchase the restore media
  2. Use the cd you installed 7 with last time and go to the windows activation section of the system page and enter your Genuine key from your laptop

I'll try the latter one.. I don't wanna purchase win7 media from Lenovo even though it's cheaper...i'd rather buy a W10 pro from MS and install.. Or may be wait a lil in Insider preview and buy a new laptop later :).. Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon