windows 8.1 startup how fast

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

Couple of weeks ago got a new win 8.1 laptop and wondered how fast is your start up from pressing the button to seeing the desktop or start screen?

Just wanted to compare, I know all devices will have different specs but couldn't find anything online to compare it too and get a sort of average. My old win 7 laptop in the end took almost 4 mins before I could actually do anything with it and just thought that I could if I have a base line keep an eye on it so it doesn't get to bad this time around.

Regards

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
ok just checked my new hp envy laptop and it takes 14 seconds to the sign on screen and 21 from pressing power button to being able to use the start screen

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Surface Pro 2 starts up in seconds. Close to instant, but not exactly.

My old ThinkPad T400 booted in almost exactly 30 seconds when it had an SSD.
Now, its not as great with a hard drive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok I know I'm dumb but your saying that the tablet will run faster sometimes because it doesn't use a hard drive for storage? If so can you explain why it does this as well just would like to know please

You can Bing the difference, as its a pretty common thing - SSD vs Hard Drive

Kinda because I don't have a quick TL;DR explanation off the top of my head and I'm on mu phone and would rather not bang out a lot of text.

luke_f

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
This totally depends on your HDD. On a normal HDD, it will probably boot in about 15 seconds. If you have an older SSD, it will be below 10 seconds. I have just replaced the old SSD on my laptop with the latest Samsung SSD and was amazed to see that now it boots to the desktop in about 5 seconds. I have never seen any windows device boot that fast. So Windows itself boots very fast, it is only the storage device which is holding it back...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb