Windows 8 Storage Spaces in Windows 10

ignacioruiz22

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i have 2 hd making a storage space in Windows 8.1. I want to clean install a windows 10 preview tomorrow but i don?t know if this SO will mantein my storage space. Could you help me, please? Thank you very much!

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
no its doesnt, well at least for me. Windows 10 does not recognize Storage Spaces created Windows 8.1

WHAT?!? THat is a deal breaker!! I have 8 drives in a storage space.

I've been looking for documentation on Storage Spaces for Windows 10...I need to know if you can move spaces from Win 8.1 to Win 10 simply by connecting devices... IE, Use the "Storage Space" array on a Win 10 laptop and say a Win8.1 laptop?

Also, I'd like to know what it would mean to upgrade a Win 8.1 which has Storage Spaces arrays to Win10

Last edited:

Alroy Swain

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Most likely what I've been experiencing is a bug, I did a search on the Win10 feedback app and there are few users reporting the same. Its doest really make sense why they would not be compatible.

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Here is some information about Storage Spaces in case anyone else is curious.

Storage Spaces - Beware if rolling back to W8.1 from W10 - Windows 10 Forums
Hi there

Beware if you CREATE storage spaces under W10 and roll back to W8.1 -- you'll get configuration error.

DO NOT RESET the storage spaces as you'll lose the data. I think the file structures have changed in W10.

What to do --Re-install W10 again and then SAVE the data. The storage spaces will be fine on a re-install of W10 - you'll need to do a NEW install so install on another HDD or backup your W8.1 / W8 system before re-installing W10.

Hope this saves people anxiety.

I like Storage spaces - but they should be compatible across releases in case you do have to roll back an OS.

You only need to do this if you created the storage spaces on W10. If you created them on W8/W8.1 and then installed W10 everything is fine.

Cheers
jimbo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss