Windows build 10166 safe to be installed on primary phone?

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been contemplating installing this on my 635. Decided not to mainly because of battery life, just in case. Hopefully in a couple more builds things will be much closer to final as big-windows people keep moving to work on mobile-windows. I predict end of August is probably when I'll switch to w10m.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
After a few days with it on my retired 1520 and multiple hard resets I can only advise to stay away from it on your primary device!
Still problems with the start screen showing "loading" over and over, store crashes, some apps not install and so on.
Success stories you find here is mostly due to people having a very limited usage scenario for their phone.
People claming that it works well for them should add "works well for what I do with my phone".

fallback

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would personally recommend installing this. I recently installed this in my Lumia 930 and it gets better everyday. I get some weird crashes when using photos app or lumia camera sometimes but it's tolerable. I've been taking awesome photos with it and some of my android and iphone friends accepted defeat on how my phone takes awesome photos even in low lighting conditions : ]

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
After a few days with it on my retired 1520 and multiple hard resets I can only advise to stay away from it on your primary device!
Still problems with the start screen showing "loading" over and over, store crashes, some apps not install and so on.
Success stories you find here is mostly due to people having a very limited usage scenario for their phone.
People claming that it works well for them should add "works well for what I do with my phone".

Well, define very limited usage scenario. I do standard stuff like Office use, maps/ voice navigation, web browsing, using my set of regular apps, messaging including WhatsApp and so on.

For this very special use case, I find it works well. Not as good as 8.1 of course due to a lot of bugs still there, but that's why we decide to be insiders. To test it under our use cases and report any bugs we encounter so the end product won't contain those anymore.

So there is no reason to complain loudly about missing/broken features, not during insider preview. Just provide the feedback to Microsoft so they can work with it. If you don't want to, nobody forces you to use it.

wsantosf

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
More stable, but photos still don't upload to onedrive automatically all the time, groove can't use music subscription to get songs.

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you think that a hard reset is necessary at all??
Yes, a hard reset makes it better. Over the weekend I went back to 8.1 because I needed the phone to be reliable.
Then decided to try 10166 again without hard resetting. It was very clunky and very slow, the start screen acted like like it was still running 8.1.
So, I did a backup, then hard reset, the restored backup. This seems to be working. The wallpaper on the home screen is shifted over, I was not seeing that before.

Also, I found a fix for a bug I found, using custom ringtones.
To use use custom ringtones, the mp3 file genre needs to be ringtone. After the hard reset this field is blank.
I connected my phone to my PC and recopied my ringtones that had the ringtone genre to the ringtone directory in phone memory.
Now custom ringtones work.

CP SHARMA1

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
What about Lumia 525 with 10166 build experience? Most of uses of mine is outlook and phone calls.
The latest build is fine work with this 525.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria