Windows Central App for Windows 10

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,

I may be beating a dead cat here (is that the saying? I don't even know), but are there any major updates or enhancements planned for the Windows Central app for Windows 10? I still find myself exclusively using the website over the app except to read articles on my phone. It's not that it's a terrible app, I quite like the overall design and it's certainly better than most other Windows apps, it's just really inconsistent and frankly unreliable.

Notifications only work when the app is actually open in the background, and even then interactive notifications like replying to comments never work and whether or not the notification will actually bring you to the respective article (deep linking) is hit and miss (although it is far, far better than it was in the past).
Opening the app is extremely slow and the app as a whole suffers from major stutters and freezing issues for approximately thirty seconds to a minute after a cold start.
Resuming the app from background often results in a full reset if not a crash.
Website links aren't very useful at all, since they only work for the home page (although I'm not entirely certain if this is a fault of the app or of Microsoft's API's).
Changing categories is slow and often results in the app freezing. When categories are switched accidentally it can often take a full minute just to get back to the previous category.
The forums section is still almost unusable, as replies usually don't post at all, refreshing doesn't work, jump to bottom never actually jumps to bottom, and a whole plethora of other issues.
There are still some design inconsistencies throughout the whole app, especially with the mix of grey and black sections.
The search bar still isn't centered at all and barely even works.

I have a couple of other issues too but honestly I've forgotten them while writing this haha. Look, I don't want to come across like some prickle who just wants to complain about something. I honestly have some issues with this app and I want to make sure that 1) I'm not the only one experiencing these problems and quirks and 2) that someone is making sure they're reported. When this app works it's super convenient and I'm a huge fan of some of the features like the link to feedback, the what's new page, etc. I love reading articles on my phone and there are some nice gestures here. I just don't feel like any real improvements have been made to this app in a long while. I understand that difficulties of developing an app on such a scale, but the silence doesn't exactly help either (unless I've missed something recently). There used to be an article about an upcoming update every week or every other week but there's been nothing for months now. Windows Central is by far my favorite place to go for Windows news, but the app experience isn't amazing. As much as I feel MSPowerUser is extremely hit and miss with their articles and writing, they have a pretty great app.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree? Do you want to punch me in the balls? What problems have you had? What changes would you make or not make? Let's talk!

Last edited:

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes I agree that the app needs a lot of work, the design and the performance!
I really would like to have a similar to MSPU app, that app looks great, functions even better!!

paragoneer

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree with what you've written, Zachary. Hoping to see a full-featured reply function for the forums, and a forum search function in the app as well :)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm glad I'm not the only one here.
I'd also like to add a few more issues I've been having:
Articles appearing multiple times in the home feed. This happens one of two ways. Either you get articles showing up in pairs, so there's always two of them next to each other, or you get a group of articles that repeats itself three or four times.
There's also the loading bug. When you're scrolling through the home feed while the app is collecting data and it keeps jumping you to random parts of the home feed, so you never know where you are. This combined with the duplicate bug makes the home feed all but completely unusable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap