Windows Insider or stock version poll

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know what to do.. Keep it stock or use the insider builds? Kept thinking about that for hours. In the end I opted in for the Insider builds again (like I've been doing on my 1520 for ages now). The stock ROM used on the 950 and 950XL isn't anything but a preview build as well, so there's not really much to lose anyways.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Going with Insider. I've been on it from the start with my 925, why not continue? Especially since they have the restore images ready to make the device factory fresh again.

Well, I will as soon as it sees an update for my phone...

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Stock one is good for 950 the new insider one is bit laggy

Sorry to hear that, opposite for me on my 950 XL. The tiny little pauses here and there are gone and it seems to load almost faster than the animation so it doesn't look as smooth sometimes. Been super stable since yesterday with no resets and battery life good. The screen though is a battery hog!

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
No need to go with insider on my 950XL since it is being updated fast as of today it was updated to the same build as the insider build.

wp_ss_20151208_0003.jpg

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm an insider but no updates for me for my 950 XL. Don't want to hard reset so I just have to wait it out...

Have you ever done a hard reset since you got the phone? If not, I would highly recommend doing a hard reset even after your original set up. I also would not use a backup when doing the set up after the hard reset. Install everything from scratch

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Build .29 is way better that the original .0

On my 950 XL it looks much more stable, no crashes so far, it was rebooting once or twice a day until yesterday; no sudden drop of calls when using Bluetooth; the phone is much cooler than it was on the previous build and the battery bar has only gone down to 81% in 5 hours of regular usage, phone calls, a few app updates, email, Band 2 always connected and the car radio system connected and playing streamed music during my commute to work, Flipboard and News reading during breakfast (not healthy, I know), etc. Until yesterday I would be looking for a USB cable by now.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you mean in terms of definitions, then Stock is the version that comes with your 950 out of the box (10586.0 for the 950/XL). Windows Insider is a Microsoft programme to give early access to volunteers to test releases that are not yet ready for general availability, you need to explicitly consent to download and install the software.

If you were asking for the difference in content, you can for example look at the article mentioned above by Mark Morales.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Have you ever done a hard reset since you got the phone? If not, I would highly recommend doing a hard reset even after your original set up. I also would not use a backup when doing the set up after the hard reset. Install everything from scratch
It seems that those of us with 950XLs that have not hard reset are not receiving the update yet. The article yesterday said that hard resetting the device fixes the problem and allows the update, but MS has asked us not to, as they are confident they will be able to fix the bug without us having to hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb