Windows Mobile 10 Phone and VPN

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I am having issues with connecting to my VPN. I have an HP Elite x3 which connects using PPTP (and also IPSec/L2TP) to a VPN server. The VPN server correctly gives out the IP address and the data should, after connection, be routed through the VPN. I have confirmed this works in the server logs. I have also confirmed that this works on two other devices which are running Windows 8.1, albiet both are tablets.

The VPN shows as connected on the Windows phone and even properly goes through authentication but going to say a website like www.whatsmyip.org on Microsoft Edge still shows I am connected from my internet router or LTE. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One annoying thing my work has done with cisco vpn is remove ability for mobile device connections.

Any chance you have something similar? Or do you control the VPN?

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
One annoying thing my work has done with cisco vpn is remove ability for mobile device connections.

Any chance you have something similar? Or do you control the VPN?

I control the VPN. I use Softether with secureNAT. And it does pptp/ipsec. It works fine on the other devices.

I don't use cisco AnyConnect. Instead stick to the native pptp Windows version

Sent from mTalk

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I would post a link to my feedback regarding this same issue, but they dont work either, so maybe try finding it and upvoting it?

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I would post a link to my feedback regarding this same issue, but they dont work either, so maybe try finding it and upvoting it?

Sorry, I am confused. Did you find the solution to this problem? A search on VPN pttp doesn't seem to elicit a verifiable response. There are a few posts that describe what I am facing. I have PPTP Passthrough working on both the router and the LTE network.

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I am connected absolutely correctly to the VPN server. Even the DNS lookups to 8.8.8.8 are being routed properly. But visiting any site under Edge or Maps lists the real location, vs where the endpoint is. This works on my Windows 8.1 computers on their native client, PPTP and IPSec/L2TP. I can even monitor this connection on the server side:

Screenshot by Lightshot

In pic: Softether 4.20.9608-rtm with SecureNAT enabled. This is the status window showing the client is correctly connected.

- Location is OFF
- Same with Edge (ie. I refuse to accept it). Have flushed the cache.

Screenshot by Lightshot

In Pic: Look at data when using the Windows Phone. Those are DNS queries to 8.8.8.8 which is google DNS. As it shows, there is data being transferred between the device and the VPN, but I still can't get either Edge or Maps or Netflix to acknowledge my real location vs where the VPN endpoint is.

It seems to be working, and yet I don't know why Edge continues to show my real location...

Last edited:

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
sometimes

I remember there was a posting on this forum about the VPN no longer working after an update, luckily I don't use them but if I did it would be concerning, I think the long and short of the thread was that vpn settings had to be manually inserted once you get them from the provider.

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I remember there was a posting on this forum about the VPN no longer working after an update, luckily I don't use them but if I did it would be concerning, I think the long and short of the thread was that vpn settings had to be manually inserted once you get them from the provider.

- I control the VPN Server. As such I control all aspects of the connection. The username/password, PPTP or IPSec/L2TP. All..
- The DNS queries originating after a VPN connection is made are correct and being routed properly through the VPN. For all intents and purposes, it looks like the VPN is running. And yet, it is not! Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Map all keep using the real location of the device. This works properly on 2 Windows tablets running 8.1, iPhone (PPTP) and one Windows 10 tablet.
- Turning ON/OFF for Location makes no difference
- Disabling Location settings in Privacy also makes no difference
- I have tested this with PPTP (Username/Password) and SSTP (Username/Passoword/PSK) or IPSec/L2TP.
- I have tested this on two different servers, running Ubuntu and FreeBSD 11.

This problem is only specific to Windows 10 Mobile. I am running HP Elite x3 with:

Firmware: 00002.00000.00018.0105

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Update: Jan 25, 2017

• I updated to Slow Ring and tried to see if VPN would work. It didn't.
  • Due to stability issues (production ring is more stable), I reverted back using WDRT.
  • On a clean install, I setup the VPN connection again only to find that it does not work as well.

So far, I have tried everything possible. On any other device (iOS, Android and Windows 8.1 and Windows 10), I can easily setup a VPN (PPTP/IPSec+L2TP/OpenVPN).

This issue seems to only exist on Windows Mobile. If anyone from MSFT sees this, please fix the VPN issue. I shouldn't be having so many problems given a VPN is very common request on a corporate network

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6