Windows Phone 8.1 DP IS Final/RTM OS. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
See Reply #4 of this thread.

Anyway about it, we are right on the aspect where 8.1 is feature locked, no question, final on that aspect. Any new features (Xbox, file manager, etc) will come via a App, and personally, I like this model due to not having to wait for a GDR for a OS based feature update. I really do welcome this.

With that being said, I still feel this thread is almost a fail. As quoted from Joe, the Dev prievew is not final in the aspect of bug fixes but, IS as features go. So it is not the final. The name of the thread "Windows Phone 8.1 DP IS Final/RTM OS. Period." I dont think "Period" is really right here. If the bug fixes come down before it's sent to the phones from the carrier (not including firmware upate and that will be mostly carrier and carrier compatablity issues), then it's not the final... PERIOD.

This thread would be partly right...Final as features go sure but, not cut and dry like you make it out to be.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyway about it, we are right on the aspect where 8.1 is feature locked, no question, final on that aspect. Any new features (Xbox, file manager, etc) will come via a App, and personally, I like this model due to not having to wait for a GDR for a OS based feature update. I really do welcome this.

With that being said, I still feel this thread is almost a fail. As quoted from Joe, the Dev prievew is not final in the aspect of bug fixes but, IS as features go. So it is not the final. The name of the thread "Windows Phone 8.1 DP IS Final/RTM OS. Period." I dont think "Period" is really right here. If the bug fixes come down before it's sent to the phones from the carrier (not including firmware upate and that will be mostly carrier and carrier compatablity issues), then it's not the final... PERIOD.

This thread would be partly right...Final as features go sure but, not cut and dry like you make it out to be.
We're not talking about semantic.
We're talking about Build numbers and development process: DP is RTM.
RTM means that OS is finished, and sent to manufacturers to be pre-installed on millions of devices. It's the same exact version.

Every bugfixes, drivers/firmware updates, new features, any changes of any kind will come AFTER and ON TOP of the RTM build, that will remain the "Final" (yes, final) OS base from which further improve the product.

That will happen:
1) Through Windows Updates (OEM/Official channel), Microsoft GA patches + Firmware (Cyan) included before launch;
2) Through Windows Store (Updated Apps, ready for launch);
3) Backend Updates (Microsoft Servers -> see final Bing/Cortana before launch).

It doesn't matter though -> DP will remain the base OS for all those fixes, for every OEM and Dev.
Exactly like Windows 8 and 8.1 RTM were even before GA patches, Apps updates and so on.

Joe said DP is NOT FINAL to simplify things to everyone (it should had used "Not the Full Package"), but that's not correct: OS is Final, it only misses maintenance patches and updates that OBVIOUSLY will arrive for everyone before and after launch.
But that's very different from calling it "Beta" or similar.

In fact if you installed DP, you have the latest Stable Channel version of it, and you're good to go to further (obvious) updating without the need to reinstall things, Reset devices again, and so on.

You have the final version of Windows Phone 8.1, before any other else, before even Drivers manufacturers in some cases.
You have only one portion of the Release update, but that portion is a finished product.
Just hold on for further fixes and optimization that will come as soon as they're ready.
That's all about it.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You will still have to update with a device specific firmware when it becomes available for your device.. if this is final, you wouldn't have to. I think we are confusing the core OS with the firmware.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I just want to know what version of the expanded sound controls is the final version:

8.1 Preview For Developers
pfd volume.png

Version seen in 8.1 SDK and many videos posted during Build 2014
8.1 volume sdk.png

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
You will still have to update with a device specific firmware when it becomes available for your device.. if this is final, you wouldn't have to. I think we are confusing the core OS with the firmware.
We're only talking about OS here. And OS, like we said, is Final.
8.1 drivers aren't "not final", they're just completely missing for now (except in new phones, aka Lumia 930/630, where Cyan Firmware Pack is already included).
For now we're still using (Final) 8.0 drivers, that work just fine anyway.

Shankar chandran S

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
IDK if any of you have used any pre Xp windows OS , when freshly installed it will be a slow and with 8 bit of graphics , but once the drivers get installed the Os is workable .
it is safe to assume that DP 8.1 is the same thing as the original Os but without the custome drivers of the OEM.

so when the OEM update rollout do not expect much more than better battery life and more fluid OS. it may look the same , may be seems faster /s

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The core may be"final" but it has been said what is shipped to be sold to the general public will be different.

If you want to stand on this technicality you're only going to confuse more folks.

Why not just correct those who say it is a beta os and explain that it isn't a finished package they will get on the phone if they go to buy a new phone with 8.1 already installed on it.

I understand the importance some folks put on "having to be " technically correct all the time,but in the end your not painting the correct picture of it's true state,but only giving a 1/2 finished picture of it for those who don't fully understand.

Mac

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
The core may be"final" but it has been said what is shipped to be sold to the general public will be different.

If you want to stand on this technicality you're only going to confuse more folks.

Why not just correct those who say it is a beta os and explain that it isn't a finished package they will get on the phone if they go to buy a new phone with 8.1 already installed on it.

I understand the importance some folks put on "having to be " technically correct all the time,but in the end your not painting the correct picture of it's true state,but only giving a 1/2 finished picture of it.

Mac
Cause you can't call a Beta something that is not.
It's like installing Windows 8.1 on PC with 8.0 NVIDIA and Wi-Fi drivers on it: you don't call it Beta only because you haven't installed 8.1 drivers on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria