Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay all I wanna know what MAJOR features are we lacking in?
I've read on several blogs, here and there heard my friend talk about it. But just what are the major feature we DON'T have that people on kitkat DO
I have never used a Android phone ao I don't really know much about it or have enough info to form a solid opinion about it. I understand its all a matter of choice both have pros and cons but WHAT is it about Wp8.1 that repels droidboys.
I asked my friend what were his MAJOR requirements he talked about a file manager well got it..ability to make folders..got that too. Facebook integration, better than Android I guess. And few themes to play around with. Well not there yet. But still would love to know from a person using BOTH the OS what is it. Apart from google services what do they miss on wp8?

drelewis

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Facebook integration, better than Android I guess.

nope I have both and made a picture post in the comments section on fb on the droid. wp does not even see the picture unless its in the first post

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
My last Android phone was a Nexus 5 on 4.4.x I honestly can't say I'm missing any features at this point. My calendar widget is easily replaced with AppoinTile (not really 8.1 specific,) I've got a notification center in 8.1, Cortana is really good especially since it's beta software, turn-by-turn navigation is easily handled, the wordflow keyboard is pretty good, the app store is coming along pretty nicely, file managers are available as you mentioned, I can set background images, etc...

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
My last Android phone was a Nexus 5 on 4.4.x I honestly can't say I'm missing any features at this point. My calendar widget is easily replaced with AppoinTile (not really 8.1 specific,) I've got a notification center in 8.1, Cortana is really good especially since it's beta software, turn-by-turn navigation is easily handled, the wordflow keyboard is pretty good, the app store is coming along pretty nicely, file managers are available as you mentioned, I can set background images, etc...

Oh good to know. I have been dying to see a proper comparison of Nexus 5 and Lumia 930 on youtube that will take time I guess just wanna see what is it that is missing. Nexus 5 as I've heard is very smooth and fluid phone and people shifted from L920 to Nexus found it to be as smooth as wp8 but missed notification center terribly. Since we have that now hope L930 crushes Nexus5.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh good to know. I have been dying to see a proper comparison of Nexus 5 and Lumia 930 on youtube that will take time I guess just wanna see what is it that is missing. Nexus 5 as I've heard is very smooth and fluid phone and people shifted from L920 to Nexus found it to be as smooth as wp8 but missed notification center terribly. Since we have that now hope L930 crushes Nexus5.

I'm just using a Lumia 925. The Nexus is really smooth compared to many other flagship Android phones (lack of OEM skin/bloatware apps to slow it down) but I found it would lag when attaching pictures to MMS messages or switching between apps. I find my Lumia 925 is easily as smooth as my N5 in most areas and smoother in the cases I mentioned before.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, the number one barrier preventing people using Android from switching to Windows Phone has nothing to do with the OS itself... That is, it's the usual story: Lack of apps, Google Apps in particular.

Whether or not it's actually true in specific cases, perception is reality and they don't bother to verify. I can't tell you the number of times I've asked people (Android and iOS users) in my office why they didn't consider WP and heard it was because of missing apps, then I show them every app they list is in fact available...except Gmail. And Hangouts. And proper Google calendar support. That becomes the excuse and the conversation is over.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I show them every app they list is in fact available

No way. Just NO WAY. Unless they list very few, broadly available apps, that's impossible.
Never mind availability, the QUALITY of the apps and the features they provide. Just this morning, I was reminded of this when reinstalling MyFitnessPal on my Lumia Icon. It's there, yes. But it sucks compared to the Android version (though interestingly enough bot have issues with keeping the user logged in, might be on the server end). And that's not the fault of the OS, it's just because the developer doesn't give a ****, since there's no market share.

That's what people like about Android, mostly (that, and the automation features that no other OS can touch, really, seem to be the big selling points). I don't think with Windows Phone 8.1 there is anything basic in the OS missing for most people. Certainly Android is at this point more about refining features, not about having something that really stands out.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I wanna know is the multitasking issue? I know the resuming time in windows has reduced with new update but which performs better when switching from your game to messaging browser or any other task?

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.2 as my daily driver. Am also using a HTC 8X running WP 8.1 PDP as my secondary device so I'm really platform agnostic. Here's my opinion..

Android 4.4 Is butter smooth for the most part. It's as fluid as iOS or Windows Phone. There's no noticeable lag. What makes Android famous for its 'lag' is the OEM's customizations. Like Touchwiz and Sense (to a lesser extent). The Nexus 5 obviously runs of vanilla android so I don't experience any significant lag.

In many ways, Android 4.4 is ahead of WP 8.1. There are more things you can do on Android then on WP. To me WP 8.1 = Android 4.1. Microsoft has done a great job with WP 8.1 but it still isn't as feature packed as Android 4.4.

Since using my Nexus 5, I've never missed any features on my HTC 8X except for the People Hub integration with FB and Twitter. Whatever I don't like on Android, I can simply download app to remedy my problem. Customization is an integral part of Android that I absolutely love.

Moving forward, I hope WP gets more customization options. e.g. setting default apps for playing music, videos web browsing etc.

Make no mistake though, I still support WP and will get one (probably the Lumia 930) in the near future. I would also urge WP fanboys to try out a Google branded devices to experience the real power of Android without any lags :)

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I wanna know is the multitasking issue? I know the resuming time in windows has reduced with new update but which performs better when switching from your game to messaging browser or any other task?

Android has quicker multitasking. But it depends on devices obviously. The Nexus 5 is real quick.

adtst3

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Like others have said, its the perception that there are far fewer apps than on android and iOS. But I really think it boils down to app quality. Quantity does not equal quality. Yes there are apps to match most of their android or iOS counterpart, but they lack functionality and are usually just bad ports of the app on another platform.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Since using my Nexus 5, I've never missed any features on my HTC 8X except for the People Hub integration with FB and Twitter. Whatever I don't like on Android, I can simply download app to remedy my problem. Customization is an integral part of Android that I absolutely love.

That's the rub here. With WP8.1, MS is changing the things that made it different (integration), but don't yet have the apps to make up for it. Unless there's a huge influx of feature-laden apps, this is a tough nut to crack.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
"In many ways, Android 4.4 is ahead of WP 8.1. There are more things you can do on Android then on WP. To me WP 8.1 = Android 4.1. Microsoft has done a great job with WP 8.1 but it still isn't as feature packed as Android 4.4."

Can you give specifics? This is what the OP is asking, what major features are lacking from WP. Many people say WP is lacking, but it isn't clear to those of us that don't have a current-gen Android device just what features are in 4.4 that aren't in WP 8.1. In the next paragraph you list "customization," is there anything else?

Lepennenere

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
With the current update to 8.1, I don't see any major differences between the two operating systems. When it comes to the app stores, both are lagging behind Apple.
I'm currently using a M8 gpe as my daily driver, I have a 1020 as my backup. I switch between both phones, (it little more difficult now that the M8 uses a nano sim). I enjoy both platforms.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Okay all I wanna know what MAJOR features are we lacking in?
I've read on several blogs, here and there heard my friend talk about it. But just what are the major feature we DON'T have that people on kitkat DO
I have never used a Android phone ao I don't really know much about it or have enough info to form a solid opinion about it. I understand its all a matter of choice both have pros and cons but WHAT is it about Wp8.1 that repels droidboys.
I asked my friend what were his MAJOR requirements he talked about a file manager well got it..ability to make folders..got that too. Facebook integration, better than Android I guess. And few themes to play around with. Well not there yet. But still would love to know from a person using BOTH the OS what is it. Apart from google services what do they miss on wp8?

The major feature that I'm personally missing is the ability to set app defaults for everything. For me that is what frustrates me the most on my 5s and 925. Being able to swipe and expand notifications is another big thing for me. I feel it helps my workflow.

I think the biggest reason that Android fans aren't too keen on WP is that it's not meaningfully better than what they already use. If I only had the means to have 1 phone rather than 4, and that phone was a flagship Android device, what could WP possibly offer me that I could not find in Android? Also, it's been seen that users simply do not like change and they generally do not want to learn new things. But really why should they if their iPhone, Galaxy S, or HTC One work as expected in addition to having all the latest apps? It's not about a file manager, themes, or even Google services. It's about familiarity.

Here are things that i noticed about the differences when i first tried WP8 (keep in mind some may have changed but some of it is still relevant)http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/262305-so-i-finally-tried-wp.html

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
From the outside,a user that has a Nexus 7 and doesn't personally prefer Android as a platform (has nothing to do with bias or fanboyism, just dont prefer it)...i can tell you Android offers over WP in these areas:
  • App Selection + Quality (it's true)
  • Customization Options (how to manage files, attachments, send, etc)

Its less limited (restrictive) than WP, but it's clear MS would prefer staying more 'closed' like iOS than Android...and I much prefer this as a user. It really comes down to what you will use the device for and how entrenched you're into the ecosystem. I only used 4.4 for a short time on my Nexus 7 (which is collecting dust, trying to sell on Kijiji but no offers) and still find the process management part of the OS annoying (i know some prefer this but i do not want to manage my phone like a PC...i prefer simplicity), and while Android offers nice Widgets, Widgets dont exist for all Apps so i still think WP excels from that prospective (I see more Live Tile options in WP than Widgets in Android).

I dont think we should be looking at what WP is missing from Android, but rather what can WP add that Android already doesn't have. It's great that MS is adding all the features that people consider universally standard these days, but they need to continue trying to push more OS-specific selling points that the competitors do not offer. Nokia has done a great job of this with HereDrive+ and MixRadio, we need more offline offferings available from a software prospective.

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

I've owned an iphone (first smartphone), then a nokia lumia 920, sony xperia z1 (had to try android) and now nokia lumia 1520.

My experience: One thing that made me change back to windows phone is that android can not handle full exchange account. For example, i have a lot of calendars and tasks. Exchange only shows my main exchange calendar and task. Although, there is an app for android that allows to use multiple tasks and calendars, but they are not the same. Using more apps for syncing things makes your device to need more battery. Windows handles this flawlessly.

Of course, android have apps for almost anything and it is way more customizable than windows, but, in my opinion, my windows phone is good enough with the things you can do by default. (and i think my wp screen layout and quality is way better than androids).

With sony xperia z1, lag was there, tinny most of the time, but there. Windows phone is smoother (well, except with wp8.1...but is dp).

The other thing i miss from android sony xperia z1, is the "auto awesome" feature from the "photos" app. But i'm sure windows phone will get some app with an equivalent feature (current new apps for video editing are cool, but i miss the auto-awesome).

About music: like better sony walkman. Wp 8.1 music hub is buggy, slow and not as cool as you expect. Hopefully we'll get a better music app later.

This is my little grain of sand.

Greetings

Edit: Forgot to tell about smartwatch. I miss my smartwatch.....but that was a thing i was willing to loose for coming back to windows phone. I'm sure we will have a very descent wp smartwatch soon.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest reason that Android fans aren't too keen on WP is that it's not meaningfully better than what they already use. If I only had the means to have 1 phone rather than 4, and that phone was a flagship Android device, what could WP possible offer me that I could not find in Android?
This you make a good point. Not to mention the financial investment already made in android / IOS platforms. Microsoft will need to make a concerted effort, beginning with Cortana to make the case for people to want to try another platform.

Luiskp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would also urge WP fanboys to try out a Google branded devices to experience the real power of Android without any lags :)

I've used Android from the past 2.3.4 in the Xperia Play, to my last Moto X with 4.4.2.
I've used WP from the Lumia 620, 820, 822, HTC 8X to my next Lumia 925 with WP8.1 with DP.

Responding to haikallp, even with the Moto X, there are some lags at some point (not to throw the phone against the wall, but enough to notice it). I think it sound more ****** from you calling the "true power" of android. but hey everybody is free of mind.

Now, I will say, as most user of this forum will, its a feeling thing with WP against Android.

Yes, without any doubt there are more apps for Android. I tell this living in South America were WP is the second platform used, but referring to secondary apps (Bank Apps, Country Specific, or that "Call it the way you like" apps) is like from 10 only 5-6 are avalaible. (A1 - WP0)

Cortana, not being available in my Region until 2015 is a BIG problem. Android full integration System with Google Now. (A2 - WP0)

Now, If you just want to support WP, and have huge hope in a better platform for the future. Go with WP, as I and lot of people are doing.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I think places where Wp8.1 would beat kikat would be
1) Privacy
2) Cortana
3) Live Tiles
4) Integration with other Ms products.
But really I don't just by a phone because of few missing apps like Quiz up or official Snapchat. And other games which show up late or don't show at all. For me cellphone's are more of a communication and media device and not a gaming unit much rather install all games on windows 8.1 pc and enjoy them on a bigger screen and better control.
And yea Widgets as it is use up Ram and make it laggy, So overall happy with my wp as long as it doesn't lag and frustrates me. But then again Nexus 5 is already offering a lagfree smooth Os. Soo at the end I guess both have pros and cons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb