windows phone 8 pricing... how much is too much?

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
For those considering the Lumia 920, off contract, I recommend taking a browse at Amazon.com to see how Nokia typically prices their unlocked Symbian devices. Historically, Nokia does not price their devices 'cheap', so it behooves you not to expect a low price for the Lumia 920.

With that said, I expect the unlocked prices (if the Lumia 920 is indeed offered unlocked) to be priced between $649 - $700 US; And personally, I think that the R&D/innovations and 32GB of onboard storage warrants such a price. Typically, consumers don't purchase unlocked devices, but for those that do, such prices are not unreasonable given what they are getting in return.

On contract, I expect ATT and/or Verizon to price the Lumia 920 at $249 ($199 is generous, but not sure how likely this will be). $249 subsidized is reasonable as you are getting the best camera tech, support from Nokia (which will give a lift to ATT/Verizon's staff), exclusive apps, and 32GB of onboard storage.

While many want the prices to be lower, I am willing to compensate an oem when they give me above par devices.

At the end of the day, Nokia values their innovation, and the price should reflect as such and not be priced cheaply; even at the sacrifice of some marketshare. But those consumers who value their technology and what it has to offer will pay for it, even if they have to save up a little more money to do so.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
For those considering the Lumia 920, off contract, I recommend taking a browse at Amazon.com to see how Nokia typically prices their unlocked Symbian devices. Historically, Nokia does not price their devices 'cheap', so it behooves you not to expect a low price for the Lumia 920.

With that said, I expect the unlocked prices (if the Lumia 920 is indeed offered unlocked) to be priced between $649 - $700 US; And personally, I think that the R&D/innovations and 32GB of onboard storage warrants such a price. Typically, consumers don't purchase unlocked devices, but for those that do, such prices are not unreasonable given what they are getting in return.

On contract, I expect ATT and/or Verizon to price the Lumia 920 at $249 ($199 is generous, but not sure how likely this will be). $249 subsidized is reasonable as you are getting the best camera tech, support from Nokia (which will give a lift to ATT/Verizon's staff), exclusive apps, and 32GB of onboard storage.

While many want the prices to be lower, I am willing to compensate an oem when they give me above par devices.

At the end of the day, Nokia values their innovation, and the price should reflect as such and not be priced cheaply; even at the sacrifice of some marketshare. But those consumers who value their technology and what it has to offer will pay for it, even if they have to save up a little more money to do so.

Personally, given all the stuff that Nokia has thrown in the 920 I would say warrants a ?2'500 price tag (no exaggeration!). It's a Windows Phone, a point+shoot that will rival MANY SLR's, etc etc. It's basically a load of top-ends morphed into one. As for the 820, that's probably worth about ?300 if you ask me.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Another way to compare, is the iPhone5 pricing.. The 920 is appr. 200$(USD) cheaper than the 32GB iP5 in DK (appr. 800 vs. 1000 $ off contract, directly converted incl. All the local tax etc.)

So, yes. It is going to be quite expensive. But considering what You get I'm still all in!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
500-800$ is normal for any non-contract smartphone
( that's what High end android and top Iphones go for ) .

29$-199$ for contract! (29$ is what I paid for my FOCUS , lol )

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 and Ativ S should be the same price as the GS3. The Lumia 820 should be dirt cheap. The HTC 8x should be slightly cheaper than the 920.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I recommend that you should also take a look at your local COSTCO store. I found it is a better place to buy phones than Amazon. Nokia L900 is priced at $29.95 now. It is $10.00 more than the price at Amazon. But they do all the account transfer and phone setup for you. In addition, you get a complimentary accessary bag ($20.00+ worth). The face to face service is always better than ordering phone on the web.

Look at the prices announced in Italy and Germany, the L920 is priced few dollars cheaper than the 16g iPhone 5. So I would be very surprised to see the L920 price at AT&T is either lower or higher than $199. If that's the case, you might get L920 at $149 at Amazon and $179 at COSTCO.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If it's made of quality materials like the iPhone I don't mind paying more... but I don't like paying a high price for polycarbonate and plastic phones....

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If it's made of quality materials like the iPhone I don't mind paying more... but I don't like paying a high price for polycarbonate and plastic phones....

Quality materials? You mean the glass that shatters when dropped, and the aluminium that dents easily and paint that scratches off easily is worth paying more for?

While the plastic and polycarbonate phones that can survive multiple drops are not?

Materials aren't the only things that factor into the price of a phone.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Quality materials? You mean the glass that shatters when dropped, and the aluminium that dents easily and paint that scratches off easily is worth paying more for?

While the plastic and polycarbonate phones that can survive multiple drops are not?

Materials aren't the only things that factor into the price of a phone.
They all have the same screen...

I want to see a phone made of Duralumin like the Samsung Serie 9 laptop

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the rants about the Lumia 920 pricing are somewhat unwarranted:

1. There are true innovations that cost a lot or R&D budget
  2. the €649 price tag in Germany is including 19% German sales tax
  3. Everyone knows that whereas Apple's prices stay the same until the next launch, other manufacturers' product prices reduce gradually over time
  4. If rumours are correct, Nokia is not producing the Lumia 920 in China with Foxconn, but in Finland themselves. This is a move I feel should be supported
  5. This phone should replace your point-and-shoot camera. I've been using Nokia's camera centric phones for about 5 years now, and have hardly ever used a p&s camera since I've had them. This makes at least €200-300 of the price worthwhile.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The Radar and 620 are not high-end phones, though I would note that the Radar WAS the 2nd/3rd best-selling T-Mobile handset until Microsoft EOLed WP7 in June.

Microsoft needs to sell phones the way they sell PCs.

HIGH END, at a low price.

Comare an HP laptop to an Apple one, for instance. The HP typically is faster, has more RAM, a better microprocessor, more storage and sells for 1/3 to 1/2 less than the Apple machine. That's why they sell so well.

They need to do that in phones too.

Selling a "me too" phone at the same price will be a recipe for failure. Windows Phone will not succeed with the current pricing and release strategy, if the European Nokia pricing and US HTC holds up. Few people will consider it for the same price as the safe choices, and the handsets being shown lack significant technical differentiation from the competition outside of minor areas like the camera.

MS doesnt sell PC's, the sell software on the PC's to the OEMs... and often those HP's and Dell's are junk, no matter what the specs say... there is a difference in quality, and i for one prefer it. but like stated earlier, its a fine line between being quality , and being over priced

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
500-800$ is normal for any non-contract smartphone
( that's what High end android and top Iphones go for ) .

29$-199$ for contract! (29$ is what I paid for my FOCUS , lol )

not really, the best android phones out right now are maxed at $599, i have posted some prices in my OP...
now the iphone is always more, but it is over priced and yet people still buy it...

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nokia knows that there aren't many people waiting for the 920 when the iPhone is available. They'll need to undercut the iPhone price in the stores by about $50. The colorful phones will bring people over but the price will lock them in.

You guys also need to remember the bonuses the carriers might throw in. When I bought my L900 I paid $50 and got $25 in free accessories. That meant the Focus 2 wasn't even worth looking at.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Nokia knows that there aren't many people waiting for the 920 when the iPhone is available. They'll need to undercut the iPhone price in the stores by about $50. The colorful phones will bring people over but the price will lock them in.

You guys also need to remember the bonuses the carriers might throw in. When I bought my L900 I paid $50 and got $25 in free accessories. That meant the Focus 2 wasn't even worth looking at.

only time will tell, and the longer i wait the more i like the htc 8x, looks nice!!! now they just need to throw in some beats headphones and people will go bat sh*t crazy for them, lol!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254