Windows Phone app for Mac - does not see Lumia in Mavericks?

mfrissen

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
my wife recently got a Lumia 925 for her birthday. Our first WP device :) I plan to switch as well when my birthday arrives, but right now we have the issue that the WP app for Mac just won't see the Lumia. The Lumia goes "pling" when I connect it to the Mac, and it charges, but the app just doesn't go beyond "please connect your Windows Phone".
Since we got the Lumia after my upgrade to Mavericks, I'm not 100% sure OSX is to blame, but I suspect it is. Can someone see if this is reproducable? If you have any tips to get it working, very welcome. I already tried exchanging cables, soft resetting the Lumia and re-installing the WP app. No cigar...
It's kind of annoying since we'd like to sync some iTunes music (for everything else SkyDrive & outlook.com works fine)

thanks!

Pinchscape

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue, but it was because the 3rd party micro-usb cable i used for the connection only supported charging and not data transfer

mfrissen

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm using the cable that came with the Nokia, so I guess that should work.. Also tried the one for my Kindle, same effect.

mfrissen

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I did some more checks and found that it is probably the Lumia USB that is broken. Neither my Mac nor Windows machine will detect it and in the system log I can find all sorts of errors related to the USB connection. So, back to Nokia it is.

tangawk

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issues with my Lumia 925 connecting to iMac 2007 running 10.6.7 (so not Mavericks).

I found a kind of fix - if you open Image capture first, then plug in the phone you should see the phone flash up as a USB device in IC, then Windows Phone app should auto-start and take over. Seems to connect better this way. Image capture is designed to interface with USB scanners and cameras etc. so maybe it helps make the OS aware of the phone.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Ronaldo Fernandes

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issues with my Lumia 925 connecting to iMac 2007 running 10.6.7 (so not Mavericks).

I found a kind of fix - if you open Image capture first, then plug in the phone you should see the phone flash up as a USB device in IC, then Windows Phone app should auto-start and take over. Seems to connect better this way. Image capture is designed to interface with USB scanners and cameras etc. so maybe it helps make the OS aware of the phone.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I tried that and it didn't worked also. Anybody has any other advice?

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried that and it didn't worked also. Anybody has any other advice?

I'm on Mavericks and my 520 connects fine. The Kindle cable (for the E-Ink models) doesn't provide enough power. The one that Nokia sends out is decent enough to charge a tablet slowly though. Which is why you probably had an issue with it.

You might try a verify/repair disk permissions/disk in Disk Utility and then restart. Not sure how much that would help, but it would be the first step because it'll make sure that every little file is setup correctly. Sometimes when you do shutdowns/restarts incorrectly, things get messed up. Some programs even cause permission problems.

Also try a different USB port.

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have the same problem - connection from my Nokia Lumia to my desktop mac is very erratic - sometimes the Windows Phone app works, mostly it doesn't. I also use the Nokia Photo Transfer app - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't - usually I just close the app and restart it until it works. It can be most frustrating. My wife has a Mac laptop also running Mavericks and I can connect every time with the same cable and same phone ... so not sure what the problem is. Starting up the Image Capture app seems to help.

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ive tried everything mentioned in this thread and nothing has worked :straight: my nokia 1020 will not show up on my macbook pro no matter what i do!
anybody have another solution? thanks

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
i think is time that windows phone users have a decent suite to manage our phone content from MacosX, lets face it, the windows phone app for mac is awe full.

JVBenedict

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a mac mini and 1020, just keep trying plug and unplug, or soft reset of the phone. It will appear in the system report if u're lucky. Anyway, try not to sync with the windows phone app, it will only mass up with your phone.

manudave

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
That's it!!! Reboot the phone while the app is open. I've been frustrated by this for months!! Running Mavericks on iMac and soe=metimes even image capture not working.

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hope you solved that issue, if not...

Today I was having a lot of problem with it, I also have Mavericks and what I did was just resetting the NVRAM/PRAM by shutting down the Mac, turning it on and then pressing at the same time Comman+Option+P+R

And as I connected my Lumia 1020 it worked just fine... hope it help you out.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I know it sounds ridiculous, just update iPhoto and iTunes... even though I don't sync with either program, Windows Phone Transfer requires both to be up-to-date and available.

It's just a poorly written app.

nfmbf

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
i did what you guys said. using lumia 920

turn off lumia, connect to mac, turn on lumia, then on the iphoto or windows phone.
a bit delay for few second almost to a minute, but it does connect now.

thanks God.

i just changed my usb port since it was broken last 3 months ago. couldn't even charge that time.

seriously, we need better apps for files transfer. :( drag and drop like in windows is fine (but i like to use mac...). i don't like to browse and copy as a new file since i want to retain the file properties, if possible. :sweaty:

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten Windows Phone 3.1.1 to work on my MacBook Pro running Mavericks (10.9). I am using an HTC Titan II, w/7.8. For some reason when I try in Yosemite (10.10), I connect the phone and I see a split-second blue bar like it's connecting, then it's back to connect a phone.
For Yosemite, I've tried using Disk utility to repair permissions, then try to sync it. Same result; phone chirp, quick blue line, nothing. Different USB ports; no dice. Next is shutting off the phone and connecting; nada. Then having iTunes and iPhoto running with Win Phone while connecting the phone. Still no joy. **No computer updates are due; the only phone update due is NASA picture of the day. Not sure this will help anyone, but if you have any ideas or if MS updates the app... If you haven't updated to Yosemite yet, you might want to wait.

areewahab

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten Windows Phone 3.1.1 to work on my MacBook Pro running Mavericks (10.9). I am using an HTC Titan II, w/7.8. For some reason when I try in Yosemite (10.10), I connect the phone and I see a split-second blue bar like it's connecting, then it's back to connect a phone.
For Yosemite, I've tried using Disk utility to repair permissions, then try to sync it. Same result; phone chirp, quick blue line, nothing. Different USB ports; no dice. Next is shutting off the phone and connecting; nada. Then having iTunes and iPhoto running with Win Phone while connecting the phone. Still no joy. **No computer updates are due; the only phone update due is NASA picture of the day. Not sure this will help anyone, but if you have any ideas or if MS updates the app... If you haven't updated to Yosemite yet, you might want to wait.

same problem here man, I use MBA running Yosemite, everything is up to date, but sadly nothing's work. Now how could I sync my data?

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I'm seriously considering downgrading back to Mavericks. My iMac will not complete the latest update; it always hangs at boot up. I don't use the switching between gizmos anyhow. Got my back up done; found some directions at osxdaily.com. It'll be a little rough because Time Machine already cleaned up my previous backups. Grrr.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99