Windows Phone Mango vs Battery Life: Some thoughts

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Let me say at the outset, this is not greatly scientific nor backed up by anything I've read from Microsoft on Windows Phone. It is an observation based principally on my many years working with Microsoft's servers, desktop products and its methodology.

But let me know what you think.

There has been a number of questions about battery life post official Mango and I've thought about it in a number of ways and it comes down to methodology.

Everything Microsoft has done over the years involves a registry of some kind. A place where all settings, pointers and such are stored. It seems to me Windows Phone 7 is no exception to that rule.

Mango is, for all intents and purposes a bundle of registry entries which on the back-end seek to link "related" apps to one another. In order that the phone perform fluidly is has to seek out those related apps, build a database and store the results in a registry. Then, for example, when you Bing search a movie and want details on it, the app hosting that information is already ready with the results. There is no stop the browser, back out, press the app button, head to the app list, scroll to find IMDB or Flixter, launch the app, wait for it to load, search again and scroll to the result. The information you need is there with Windows Phone. Read it, buy a ticket because the ticket app is already linked and even get directions because that app is already linked and get on with life.

But it takes some work under the hood to make that happen and that will require power and the initial Mango bump has much work to do. The principal power source for Windows Phone 7 is your battery. I'm surmising this may be the cause of some unexpected battery drain post Mango and should improve once the database construction is complete.

Could it be constant hammering the database and registry ie increased battery load? In my opinion no. I don't however believe this process is constant because I've run RTM Mango as did others and NO ONE I've read reported issues with battery life. In fact, just the opposite.

I'll see if I can't get some more background and supporting information and update the thread if need be. Time for coffee.

jrstroud88

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Honestly for me, I have hardly noticed much of a difference. The only thing is now I have several live tiles set up to run in the background. Not to mention facebook chat synced in my threads. So I'm sure that also has something to do with it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

duke1231

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I really don't really have experience with wp7 up until Mango. I have a samsung focus v 1.3 sgh-I917. My battery seems to be dying rather quickly as opposed to my BB Torch, but again new huge update, like you said using a lot of the phones facilities to access data in a seem less process. I am sure with tweeks to the update over the next month or so, battery power may improve. I notice that with blackberry 6. My Torch used to die half way through the day, and it wasn't until a month or two later after numerous updates, did it correct itself. Again not an expert by any means just throwing in my 2 cents.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's too soon for me to rate battery life. I've been playing with my phone a lot more, which has been making the battery drain more. I've complained about battery life, but it's probably because of my increased usage.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thats nice to know that your battery life issue is calming down hopefully others will havethe same experience. Your commenst make me think that techblogger may be onto something. It certainly sounds plausible. Thansk for your post and keepo us informed please!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
In my experience, the largest draw for Mango is messaging. Leaving FB chat status available and constantly texting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb