Windows Phone, or something else?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
From what Zac Bowden said in his article I believe you can remove all of Apple's services there except Siri.

I heard you can't change the default programs for documents, so even if you go all in with another service system, when you click on files or links, you may still end up in an apple program. I've only used osx (shudder), never ios, so I couldn't say.

I'd also guess you can't get out of the app store. And you are forever buying propretiary connectors. And your device is designed specifically not to say, stream DLNA, or have compatibility with other systems.

I doubt you can load your phone as a disk on your PC, like android. You probably need to mess around with some messy third party solution.

I can't imagine apple will have made it comfortable, even if it is possible, to step out of their web, any more than google would do the same.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I heard you can't change the default programs for documents, do even if you go all in with another service system, when you click on files or links, you may still end up in an apple program. And obviously you can't get out of the app store....at least with google, it is possible to avoid the play store.

IDK, i'd have conflicting feelings about either OS and their shady makers.

I have them too, because my wallet appreciates Android more but my brain doesn't. Google is worse than Microsoft when it comes to future updates (at least from my experience) and I just can't stand that interface, though I must admit I would go for the S8 just because I'd like to see what is Dex like compared to Continuum in real life. Maybe I'll try it on a demo if they have it in any tech shop around me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can activate a Windows or Android phone without signing in to the respective "big brother" service but you won't have access to the apps. You MUST sign in to your Apple ID before you can use an iPhone. I don't use iCloud, find my phone or Siri but it's signed in to the App Store.

At least with Windows and Android you can sideload apps.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Android offers Micro SD support on quite a few phones, has phones at all price points, drag and drop works like Windows and doesn't require itunes. Sounds like a winner to me. I say this as someone who hates Google with all my soul and yet somehow, I like Apple even less. So between 2 companies I can't stand, if (when) I have t make the move, it comes down to things like those listed above for me.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
WP until my 950XL dies on me.
Been using project to laptop (..and onto a secondary monitor, too) for past couple of weeks...

I have a spare 1520 which I use to mess about
And a old iPhone4, which stays in the dusty drawer permanently

... !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb