Windows will not load after update

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
I checked for updates manually and there were a couple for Defender so I downloaded and was prompted to restart. This I did but the menu said it could not install due to an update still running and had a 'retry' button. I used this and the machine shutdown and restarted but will not load Windows. It is hung on black screen (has been for over an hour now), it will not allow me to shutdown via the main switch but is doing something, as it shows a cursor arrow and occasionally the blue revolving circle.

I would be grateful for help, thank you.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It will let you shutdown from the main switch as that's tied to hardware. Press and hold the power button for 6/10 seconds. It will power off. Failing that, there's the dreaded cable out of the back.

Be prepared to remove your hard drive, to attach to another machine, for backing up your files if this doesn't go as planned.

oldman45

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Hello Excalibur1814

Thanks for that I tried it and it worked a treat. Not sure what the dreaded cable out of the back is but luckily I do not need it.

Thanks again

vince77

Aug 5, 2020
Visit site
I had faced the same issue when my laptop ran out of charge although it did give me the notification at 20% but I was doing some stuff and forgot about it. So I plugged in the charger restarted my laptop but it just got stuck and I couldn't login into my system and I thought it is just a lag and would be gone in few minutes but did not. So I pressed the power button for a few seconds and restarted it and it started perfectly.

I have experienced this quite a few times now. Maybe because my laptop is old that's why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre