Wireless chagers - where to put them?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost certainly getting that stand. I really like the idea of that bigger JBL speaker and kind of want it, but i think my standards might be a bit too high when it comes to speakers. :)

I like the idea where the stand combines the wireless charging and NFC where it opens preset app (clock, weather etc).

Got place ready for the stand on my shelf where my phones usually charge up at night. Also have my work desk and PC in the same room so when i go to my desk/PC i can set the phone to that stand.

Last edited:

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I am personally waiting for the day we see desks having charging pads built in and you can just place your phone somewhere in that space and it charges. That is what i am excited for. Ikea get on that!

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. My phone is never in a specific place all the time I always pick it up and drop it on another place on the couch. Wherever I go in house there is always an unused USB port. But I'm always on the phone. Like I would even type out word documents even though the computer is a few steps away.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Razioer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. My phone is never in a specific place all the time I always pick it up and drop it on another place on the couch. Wherever I go in house there is always an unused USB port. But I'm always on the phone. Like I would even type out word documents even though the computer is a few steps away.

Not a problem with the 920, it still has a usb port ;)

Anyways, apparently a few ppl at a firm called Fulton decided that a nice place to put a wireless charger was inside a bag, and power that wireless charger with ANOTHER wireless charger. And a super large charger area at that!:

CES 2012 - eCoupled Charging With Flexibility - Fulton - YouTube

Observe the table in this tho:

CES 2012 - eCoupled Multi-Range Flexibility - Fulton Innovation - YouTube

Thats EXACTLY what I want to DIY into my own table....

That's not all tho, these guys really know their stuff, and if I come across a metal (usually brushed aluminum in my circles) obstacle, I just might try and get a hold of the charger they demonstrate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHk8ucBIZ3I&feature=relmfu

Now to find a way to make a MS Surface Pro (or whatever I actually get) to charge without leaving my briefcase (cus I sorta have my desktop at home, and with Skydrive, even opening the briefcase becomes obsolete).

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That's very nice. But it's mostly for show. Although it's great if a phones charging port broke somehow.

Razioer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I suppose that depends on ones choice of lifestyle tho.

For example, I know for a fact that when I get a 920, I WILL use the usb port at places mostly including my gfs various family members places. But that's just incase the 920s 2000mhA dosent perform that well. Always keeping a usb charger handy in the aforementioned briefcase anyways.

Another example is that my gf has allowed me to integrate a wireless charger into her nightstand.

So I might just get 10% charge here, 25% there and so on, placing the phone where I would throw it at anyways, and while individually not that impressive, Im hoping the cumulative effect amounts to never having to use that hellish usb port ever again!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about building wireless charging docks into things too. That would be sweet to just drop my phone on my nightstand and it would start automaticly charging with out having to try to put the cable in at night. And my desk plus other things, like the counter in the kitchen and the center console in my car or even charge wile it's in my pocket in my car.

I really would like to know the specs of the chargers. How far they work from a disance , will they go through wood, glass, plastic ?

Does anyone know these type of specs ? Do they need to "touch" the charger (resulting in these things not working).

Also do not want to spend $150+ on a charger that reaches through stuff, I was thinking about buying one of the current models and completly pulling it apart to mount inside things and maybe getting a better range of placement.

Anyone ?

Last edited:

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to disassemble one of those wireless chargers and then install it in my pants. I can put the charging battery in my back pocket and the charging coil will then be in my front pocket where I keep my phones.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you look over ebay, there is a bunch of powermatt chargers...cheap... I think am going to grab one to pull apart but, I need something that is QI enabled to charge to test.

Any cheap QI charger adapters for a Trophy, a 3DS or a Vita that anyone knows about ??

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If you look over ebay, there is a bunch of powermatt chargers...cheap... I think am going to grab one to pull apart but, I need something that is QI enabled to charge to test.

Any cheap QI charger adapters for a Trophy, a 3DS or a Vita that anyone knows about ??

I'm still not sure whether Powermat is Qi compatible. I know they used to be part of the WPC (wireless power consortium, they created Qi) but then they left and started a different standard.

Energizer I think makes Qi chargers.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm still not sure whether Powermat is Qi compatible. I know they used to be part of the WPC (wireless power consortium, they created Qi) but then they left and started a different standard.

Energizer I think makes Qi chargers.

I checked by looking up a few models of the powermats and it claimed Qi...and those are cheap.

And yes, the Energizer ones are Qi...

Even look online, someone added QI support to a HD2, so it might be possable with a little work to make any phone QI ready with a little work and possablly an extended battery cover...

Anyone know how much the Nokia wireless charger will be ?

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I thought I was the only one that though Qi = DYI projects. I'm planning on integrating it in my car somewhere on my dashboard panel, also on my night stand.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I thought I was the only one that though Qi = DYI projects. I'm planning on integrating it in my car somewhere on my dashboard panel, also on my night stand.

I recently got an Energizer Qi charger off eBay for $19.99 shipped figuring I'd grab one cheap before a possible price spike. I'm not very electronically inclined but, I have considered opening it up to see if I can fab a permanent installation on my desk.

Razioer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I recently got an Energizer Qi charger off eBay for $19.99 shipped figuring I'd grab one cheap before a possible price spike. I'm not very electronically inclined but, I have considered opening it up to see if I can fab a permanent installation on my desk.
Remember that the Nokia qi plates are for the time being the only plates to have both charging and NFC, and this allow auto app launching when placing the phone on the charger.

Im getting a Nokia charger for me car, not sure about me desk yet, but nightstand and gf's nightstand will be cheep ones...

I have played around with the idea of the energizer qi pad with 2 chargers on, fit it inside my desk, and then see if I couldn't get something like a 820 cover with inductive charging, and somehow solder the coils onto my computer mouse.
It just leaves the issue where I need to move it when its near death, so still thinking on that one.

I don't know If any of you managed to sit through that entire Russian "review", but they actually test the distance the 920 can be from the qi pad and still charge, and its actually around 1cm.
I assume the longer from the pad the slower the charging time, but its nice to know Im gonna have some room to work with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers