Wireless charging destroying battery?

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got my wireless charger yesterday and was super excited. When my battery ran out I put my 920 on the pad last night and charged it all night. When took the phone off the pad at 11 am the battery was at 100% but but within 3 hours the phone was at 20% through very light use (texting and three 5min calls). I've had to charge the phone 3 times today to get to now. Previously my 920 could last 12+ hours on one charge. Anyone else get the this problem?

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Even the battery saver icon under settings estimates my time remaining as 6hrs at 100%. Previously this would be at closer to 1.5 days.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my L920, but I wouldn't trust the wireless charger at all. I had the same experience as the OP when I used mine...if I charge using the cord, my battery is a stalwart! Cord or nothing for me, the wireless charging plate has proven worthless to me.

WPer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My phone gets very hot when charging with the wireless charger for the first time. So I decide to use wall charger only. All I know is that heat will damage the battery no matter whether the heat comes from the inside of the battery or the charging coil.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
at night when my phone is in 1 spot for an extended time i charge it from the wall. during the day when i am constantly picking it up, i use the wireless charger. i have noticed my 920 get warm from the wireless charger but it's about the same warmth as if i'm surfing the web alot.

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would be more inclined to believe something else is causing the issue, such as something that is now running in the background etc... The charging method is basically the same with the wireless plate, except it might be a little slower, and a little warmer - but I doubt that it is hot enough to cause battery degradation. Things do get pretty warm when they charge, but if it is physically *hot* to the touch, and I mean uncomfortably hot, then you might have an issue with the phone/battery.
The only other thing I can think of that might cause a battery issue with wireless charging is if the charger itself was not sending the correct power to the battery, which is entirely possible with any charger if it is not functioning properly.

The only thing I can say with all certainty, is that my phone has been working very well and is still getting through the entire day, and a good portion of the next still - even after starting to use the wireless charger.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charger, is not, destroying your battery. An errant app, which is probably still running in your background (even after you'ce "closed" it) is most likely the culprit.

Ive charged my phone almost exclusively with the wireless charger and I dont have a problem.

Doesn't mean that you dont have a problem with yours, I am just saying it is unlikely the charger that is the problem.

power off your phone for a few minutes. Uninstall any new apps. charge battery to full and see if issue is still there.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I blame the wireless charger is that the problems started immediately after my first charge with the wireless charger. As for apps, the only app I have installed the night before the problem started happening was photo beamer, pdf reader, and ringtone maker. All of these apps were made by nokia or microsoft so I don't see any possible potential for problems as they aren't 3rd party apps.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I blame the wireless charger is that the problems started immediately after my first charge with the wireless charger. As for apps, the only app I have installed the night before the problem started happening was photo beamer, pdf reader, and ringtone maker. All of these apps were made by nokia or microsoft so I don't see any possible potential for problems as they aren't 3rd party apps.

Uninstall them and see if the problem persists.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my wireless charger yesterday and was super excited. When my battery ran out I put my 920 on the pad last night and charged it all night.

I wonder if leaving it on the charger all night causes harm?, the manual says to remove it off charge as soon as its at 100%.,
I do know that the Li polymer battery that 920 use are sensitive to over-charging

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
erzhik: should I also reset the phone after I uninstall them?
alphonsohall: The problem is that because of school I don't really have time to watch the charger and pull it off right as it gets too 100%. Does that mean I should just stay clear of the wireless charger? Also I tried doing cable charger and it is still the same battery life.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
erzhik: should I also reset the phone after I uninstall them?
alphonsohall: The problem is that because of school I don't really have time to watch the charger and pull it off right as it gets too 100%. Does that mean I should just stay clear of the wireless charger? Also I tried doing cable charger and it is still the same battery life.

I left mine on the wireless charger for most of the evening during which time the 'charging light' (on the front of the charger) stayed constantly lit and the phone would get 'medium' warm, once fully charged, the light would then go off for a couple of minutes and the come on again for a minute and continue this same cycle of off and on....during which time my phone was cold (satisfying me that the phone wasnt charging anymore)

Did your wireless charger light go off after charging the battery?

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I left mine on the wireless charger for most of the evening during which time the 'charging light' (on the front of the charger) stayed constantly lit and the phone would get 'medium' warm, once fully charged, the light would then go off for a couple of minutes and the come on again for a minute and continue this same cycle of off and on....during which time my phone was cold (satisfying me that the phone wasnt charging anymore)

Did your wireless charger light go off after charging the battery?

I never checked if my light went off. I simply looked at the phone which said fully charged. I'll try that when I have to charge my phone next.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
reset? No, you don't need to reset anything. Just uninstall and reboot and see if the problem is still there. If it's no longer there after you uninstall those apps, than its definitely the apps. If the problem is still there, than exchange the phone.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Check the apps you installed for location. Seems, to me anyway, like a lot of the apps on WP are asking for location, even if it doesn't seem relevant to the app. Check for the location icon when you are using phone. I had to uninstall a few because of constant poling. Battery life has improved since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05