word of advice, don't drop this thing

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Must of been an unlucky impact angle on the screen. I've dropped my 800 from about the same height (total moment of terror), with no signs of damage anywhere on it.

If they aren't accepting it at the service center, I'd say go onto twitter, contact some other Nokia reps directly. Even try some Microsoft reps. They'll want to avoid any bad attention, and maybe even jump on it to show how much they're "putting people first".

I'd tweet about it to @benthepcguy. He's given away 100s of Lumias already, so what's one more?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Never said HTC is great, actually I don't like them at all lol. Just using an incident from the past as a comparison.

And for people that for whatever reason think there's more to the story, why would there be? I'm not trying to get anything for free here while holding back info, just warning people that one drop and a slide from 3 feet is all it takes to destroy this thing.

You said: "HTC themselves SENT him a replacement screen. That right there is customer support." Close enough.

It is the internet...if you don't expect to hear both lovers and haters I would pull the plug on your computer right now. Expect the naysayers...especially when it sounds like you are just throwing a story out there because you hit a snag and want some free stuff.

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought it from an independent seller, the phone is from HK.

I tweeted Nokia, they gave me 2 numbers to call, both of which said they can't help me at all. I just got off the phone with Nokia for the 3rd time, they told me they don't sell parts for their phones :dry so they can't help me.

The Nokia forums are the next people to bug about this. One things for sure, I will NEVER buy another Nokia phone after all of this.

Is the phone's warranty valid? It's weird that Nokia won't help you :dry Nokia's phone's have 24 month warranty so if your phone is original Nokia and not a copy, Nokia should repair it. But 'cos it's bought from HK, I'm not sure...it may be a factor...

What did Nokia said to be the reason they can't help you when you called?

Have you referenced to the Canada's Consumer's Rights law yet? That should do the trick ;)

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Must of been an unlucky impact angle on the screen. I've dropped my 800 from about the same height (total moment of terror), with no signs of damage anywhere on it.

Yup, I'm going to retract this... Mine dropped again about 1' off the ground onto a brick sidewalk. It fell from a passenger-seat in a car, that was not in motion. It's still in working order. I'm lucky enough to have had the phone for about 5 months compared to the OPs 1 week. Either way, still blows. Time to look at a Lumia 900...

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing like old Nokia 3310 ;)

That phone is beyond funny. I remeber in early 2000 playing hockey with and while the screen was in horrendous shape, it still worked with no problems. It's the zombie apocalypse phone, still see them as backup phones.

Sorry to hear about your Lumia 800. :( i have dropped my 800 couple of times with no visible marks, just not on to concrete. It's can be so much about luck at what exact angle it hits, if there's room for slight movement for the screen to absorb the impact etc.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
so after a week of having this phone, i dropped it while pulling it out of my pocket... So i guess about a 3 foot drop... The screen didn't stand a chance on concrete. Didn't think the screen was this fragile, as i've dropped my galaxy note in literally the exact same spot with the same circumstances and all i got was a dead pixel on that one.

Funny thing is i'm usually not clumbsy with my phones, yet i dropped both of my favorite phones that i've ever had lol.

oh my god.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I dropped mine a little while ago. 1.5m from the floor and it hit very very hard at a corner of the body and then jumped a few times on the floor. It didn't take much damage at all considering the large fall and heavy hit.

IMG_11861.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo