Worst Windows Phone Device to Date Bar None

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Windows phone since the day before the HD7 was initially released on T Mobile some four years ago. Despite hiccups I've been pretty loyal to Windows phone and am still so. I have my 1520 that I absolutely adore and couldn't imagine doing back to my garbage M8 or my so-so 5s. This phone is perfect. My 920 before this was also a remarkable device. Likely the best built device I've ever had with proper wireless charging and absolutely smooth. That said, it's predecessor is absolute junk. I've not seen a phone drive more fans of a product away in the mobile world... Well... Ever. First, I've handled 6 of these and literally every one I've had had either a yellow or people tint or an awful gradient either vertical or horizontal. Next, 5/6 of those had the creaky back issue that I thought we left behind with the original 900. Oh, did I mention the subpart sound quality? It's absolutely appalling to hear this phone and my 1520 side by side playing the same song. One crackles, the other is my 1520. It almost feels like the people at Nokia realized they were about to get laid off and just decided to sabotage the company. I hate seeing long time fans turn and run because of this thing. It's so sad because aesthetically, it's a flawless device but pretty much everything else is wrong with it. Hell... Just scrolling around with this next to my 1520, it's embarrassing what the speed differences are... If I can suggest anything, don't touch this phone with a ten foot pole.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I personally have very little to none bad things to say about the 930, I totally love it, shame that you don't feel that way.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Is that statistical fact talking, or frustration with not having immediate sympathy?

Fact, I've seen several and have a few friends who made the mistake of grabbing one. I'd ask him to load up a solid white page and ask which screen issue he has because there is assuredly at least one.

ITSCharles

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The only issues I have with mine are issues with Windows Phone 8.1 itself, the device to me seems great, very stable, excellent screen, good battery life... Saying that I do not play music from the built in speakers as I would never want too on any phone even if it had "beats" speakers, I think all phones sound terrible..

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The only issues I have with mine are issues with Windows Phone 8.1 itself, the device to me seems great, very stable, excellent screen, good battery life... Saying that I do not play music from the built in speakers as I would never want too on any phone even if it had "beats" speakers, I think all phones sound terrible..

Also, beats aren't even very good

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I would had kept going with the Lumia 930 if it wasn't for the gradient screen issues that was visible on both my units. That and the so-so battery life made me go back to my M8. Could not bother with a third unit.

No phone has "good" external speakers. Though the M8 is lightyears in front of the competition when it comes to speaker sound. It's actally very good. For a phone. And that is Not thanks to the crap that is BoomSound (Beats was on the M7 you uninformed people who talk smak about something you don't know much about obviously, the M8 does not have Beats as their cooperation ended). The 930 was probably one of the worst speakers I've heard on a phone.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You're one of few I've seen with that disposition.

I dunno, I can find plenty of happy 930 owners in the 930 sub-forum. Like with all things though, people are far more likely to come post negative feedback than to post positive feedback.

I'm sure what you experienced is "true", but I know myself and many others have no problems with the device. I'm sure the speaker quality on mine is just as bad as on yours, but to be honest I was quite surprised how it wasn't actually bad to my ear. This is probably cos I probably havnt just heard much better phone speakers, but in general it's really not an important feature to me anyways.

ianeb

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
So because you and a couple friends have had poor experiences then that factually makes this phone awful!?

Generally speaking, the people that come on forums and moan are such a small minority it's not even worth calculating. You're clearly frustrated and rightly so, if something annoyed me that much I wouldn't go through 5-6 of them! I'd be done after number 2 so you have patience that's for sure.

It's quite obvious to me from what I have read around various forums and sites that there could be a dodgy batch of these phones. Try reading through some of the threads where people are discussing features they like, pictures they have taken, and generally positive views on the phone and you'll see these outweigh the people who have issues.

I have a 930 and aside from the heat (which interestingly enough you mention nothing about) I don't have any issues, there's a slight red hue to greys and blacks but I'm certain it's software related, I've virtually removed it using the display settings and there is also a temp fix that many have said works.

I'll be exchanging mine as the heat coming from the bottom right is not acceptable and very uncomfortable. I'll try one more and if the same I'm going to get a 1520.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I dunno, I can find plenty of happy 930 owners in the 930 sub-forum. Like with all things though, people are far more likely to come post negative feedback than to post positive feedback.

I'm sure what you experienced is "true", but I know myself and many others have no problems with the device. I'm sure the speaker quality on mine is just as bad as on yours, but to be honest I was quite surprised how it wasn't actually bad to my ear. This is probably cos I probably havnt just heard much better phone speakers, but in general it's really not an important feature to me anyways.

I've yet to see one without a fleeting screen issue.

AndyGriff

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't say my 930 has disappointed me either, coming from a 920. In my opinion, it's a more refined device in all respects except aesthetics, which is entirely subjective.

I don't give a rat's arse about the sound quality. Who on earth expects good sound out of a phone speaker anyway? What I would say, sound-wise, is that the recording quality is excellent. To me, that's of far, far greater importance.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My 930 has been fine so far, it's my first Windows phone device & overall i'm really impressed that Nokia & Microsoft have built a decent device.
I've noticed since my phone has now been through several charge / discharge cycles the battery life has got a lot better.
Finally it's so nice to be free of Google Android spyware & bloat.
Can't really say I've notices any issues with the speaker, at the end of the day it's a mobile phone that can also play music through the built in speaker, it's not a replacement for a portable boom box.

ianeb

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realise people actually used the phone speaker for music? I see a lot of little kids wandering the streets with their phones blaring, and occasionally I'll play some music whilst in the bath or shower but aside from speaker phone I never use the external speaker of any phone I've owned.

I would always recommend a decent set of headphones if watching a film or TV program, a much better experience.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
6ac4e74dc5a15683d3d33d549e4c0bcd.jpgd3d8d1bf20a45bc799887416a13cc0fb.jpg
just to add my 2 cents... i have had following phones htc8x, lumia 920, lumia 1520 and now i have lumia 930 and this would be best wp for me if it only had glance.. and glance is the only thing that this phone is lacking.
battery is, at least, deacent... i can go trough day with no problems at all, hell i can even conclude my day with 30% juice left (07:00h - 01:00h). i keep my data on, gps on, wi fi on (geofences).
i must say that i have had doubts about this phone reading posts of other people but then again, as someone mentioned above, people have tendencies to post only bad things (cant blame them for that... when everything is good you dont ***** around, you just enjoy...

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey, sorry for going little off topic, but as there are few 1520+930 owners in here and I want to ask you something, how is the battery life compared with these two devices?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey, sorry for going little off topic, but as there are few 1520+930 owners in here and I want to ask you something, how is the battery life compared with these two devices?
I cannot make it through the day on a 930 but I am a heavy user. By 3 PM I'm generally having to use my phone sparingly in search of the next charger. Perhaps it improves after some cycles but I was 4 days in and it was not. Same heavy use on the 1520 and it pays the day with about 15-30 percent to spare unless I'm using kik which is notorious for rapid battery drain. You'll find many complaints about 930 battery life

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Im a heavy user also. Im pretty sure that I wouldnt be happy trading the L1520 to the L930. I will probably test that device also though...

I cannot make it through the day on a 930 but I am a heavy user. By 3 PM I'm generally having to use my phone sparingly in search of the next charger. Perhaps it improves after some cycles but I was 4 days in and it was not. Same heavy use on the 1520 and it pays the day with about 15-30 percent to spare unless I'm using kik which is notorious for rapid battery drain. You'll find many complaints about 930 battery life

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb